IPA Extract Kit Finished HIGH!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpittard

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I'm not freaking out/worried/anxious about this brew. I'm just curious about what could cause my situation so as to maybe prevent this in the future. Lastly, RDWHAHB, right?

I did the American IPA kit from AHS (kit info below). I did a full 5 gallon boil and only had to top off the fermenter by less than a half-gallon. The expected OG (according to the AHS instructions) is 1.058. My hydrometer continually reads 1.068, no matter how much I spin it or shake all the bubbles out. I have tested my hydrometer and it is reading 1.000 in water. The wort was at 68˚ when I tested it.

So, what causes my reading to be so much off? I'd expect a point or two, but 10 whole points on an extract kit?

Recipe:
6 lbs Pale Malt LME
1 lb Crystal 60
3 oz Yakima Golding at 60
1 oz Cluster at 15
1 oz Cluster at 5

I steeped the grains at 155˚ for 30 minutes, took out the Crystal 60, removed from the heat, added the LME (while stirring), brought it to a boil, boiled for 60 at the above hopping schedule, and cooled with a IC. I then drew a sample and pitched.

I'm interested to hear some of the replies here.

I recently made an IPA that read at 1.078. It may have been way off because it was after a long day of football and beer.

The wort was at 68˚ when I tested it.

So you've never had an issue with that hydrometer before?

Are you sure you got a homogeneous sample?

Could your target volume be different than ahs's? like 5.5g vs 5g or something like that?

So you've never had an issue with that hydrometer before?
Hydrometer is brand new and tested 1.000 in water.

This is a very good point. I can't say that I did. Thinking about it, this is my most likely problem.

Could your target volume be different than ahs's? like 5.5g vs 5g or something like that?
Another possibility. I'm pretty sure the recipe was for 5 gallons. I'll check their instruction sheet to be sure. Again, another good point, though.

This is a very good point. I can't say that I did. Thinking about it, this is my most likely problem.

+1. If you finished with 5 gallons, I'm sure the kit was meant for 5 gallons. And since it was a kit, I'm sure everything was measured out right. So, unless there's something in the box you forgot to include, then you didn't get your thick wort and top up water mixed. Happens all the time. You can stir the living crap out of it and it'll settle out thicker in the bottom and thinner on top as soon as you pull out the spoon.

I am not at work and I won't be until Monday but I believe you have 8 pounds of extract not 6. I am not sure what the sheet says but it is supposed to be 8 so I am sure everything is good.

Forrest

I am not at work and I won't be until Monday but I believe you have 8 pounds of extract not 6. I am not sure what the sheet says but it is supposed to be 8 so I am sure everything is good.

Forrest

You're right. I wasn't typing this up and looking at the grainbill at the same time. Just checked, and it is 8 lbs.

I also used only 5 gallons, and the recipe calls for 5.5 gallons. I think this plus the improper sample mixture is my problem.

Back