IPA Dissection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryat66

Reaction score
I have been working on understating a little more about IPAs from top to bottom. I've read Mitch Steele's IPA book and For The Love of Hops but some questions remain. I'd like to use some craft examples to explain the flavors that I cannot pinpoint. If you know these beers and know what I'm getting at I would love the help.

1. Tröegs Perpetual - Like all their hoppy beers, I get a rather harsh bitterness from this beer that is borderline sulfurish. What is this? Is it their water profile or perhaps their hopping method?

2. New Belgium Ranger and Rampant - Both of these beers exhibit an almost medicinal quality both in smell and taste, not to suggest that they're not desirable beers because they are. I've always leaned towards their apparent heavy usage of Chinook but that's nothing more than a guess. The only other thing I can think of is their yeast which I'm sure is house and extremely unique. What am I smelling & tasting here?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

I don't get troegs here in Vegas but have had both from New belgium. While I've never found them medicinal, it could just be the way they taste to me. Everyone perceives flavor and aroma differently.. Their website says cascade is used in the boil and dry hop on the ranger and rampant is calypso mosaic and centennial. So I'd say probably not chinook, even though it's in the boil for ranger it's doesn't look like a common element.

Regarding New Belgium...I see what you mean now, for some reason I thought Chinook was more heavily used. Hmmm...so now that has me leaning towards maybe the yeast or just an interesting hop combo.

Back