Iodofor sanitizer-How much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Iodofor but it does not give instrictions for mixing. It only tells you instrictions if you want to hit a certain PPM mixture. Dos anyone know how much Iodofor to use for a 1 gallon or 5 gallon batch?

trainfever said:
I bought a bottle of Iodofor but it does not give instrictions for mixing. It only tells you instrictions if you want to hit a certain PPM mixture. Dos anyone know how much Iodofor to use for a 1 gallon or 5 gallon batch?

I am always weary of using instructions that say to use a cap full since that is not a standard measure (even worse than silly English measurements).

So use the instructions to reach a mixture of 12.5 ppm. I believe that comes to 0.5 oz per 5 gallons or 0.1oz per gallon. Or 14ml/5 gallons or ~3ml/gallon....whatever is easiest for you to measure.

I use 3ml per gallon. You want to use the rate of 12.5 ppm which according to the bottle is 3/10 of an oz. for 3 gallons. If you do the conversion that is about 8.9 ml for 3 gallons. So I just round to 9. Thusly 3 ml per gallon.

How do you measure that you are probably asking yourself?

Go to your local chain pharmacy (rite-aid, osco, walgreens, etc.) and grab a medicine dropper which is usually free. They are measured in ml (and tsp if you are adamant about not using metric) just suck up what you need to measure then squirt into your water. Easy and accurate. :D

The concentration guidelines the iodophor provides are based on slightly more than the minimum requirements for sanitization, so if you put in too much, it isn't really a big deal. I have always lived by the rule of making up a solution with the approximate color of Pabst, and I've never had an issue with contamination.

There is a great podcast with this topic specifically discussed. Check out: http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

Scroll down to March 22, 2007 "Sanitizing with Iodophor." This really put my mind at ease with this stuff. I realized if used properly iodophor is a great no rinse sanitizer. I realize there are others out there, but this is just what I use so it works great for me.

Joe028 said:
There is a great podcast with this topic specifically discussed. Check out: http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

Scroll down to March 22, 2007 "Sanitizing with Iodophor." This really put my mind at ease with this stuff. I realized if used properly iodophor is a great no rinse sanitizer. I realize there are others out there, but this is just what I use so it works great for me.

Listen to the one with Charlie Talley of Five Star...basically sold me on Star San.

Back