iodine taste from pressure tank cleaned with Io Star

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powermd

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a RO setup that I use for drinking as well as brew water. I use a pressure tank that holds 7 gallons to help with brew days, but ordinarily there is not a lot of water turnover. That seems to lead to a bit of water contamination over time, which I can eventually taste. It's kind of a moldy taste. I had been sanitizing with Star San, but that didn't work very well the last time and the taste came back within a month.

So this time I picked up some Io Star, and sanitized the lines and pressure tank with that (about 1-2 tbsp/5 gallons) I probably let it sit for 30-45 minutes. Then washed it out of the system 4-5 times. The water still has a medicinal-iodine taste to it, although the moldy taste was essentially annihilated.

Any suggestions?

I've read that sodium thiosulfate can remove iodine from water. I don't want to ingest any more chemicals than necessary to get the job done.

The solution is dilution. Keep cycling water through the pressure tank, eventually the ppb will be below your sensory perception...

Cheers!

Back