Iodine question-Need quick answer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usdsk8er540

Reaction score
hey yall. i got some iodine udder wash from the local farm supply store by my house and the concentration is 1.75% iodine. the bottle says mix 0.5 oz with 2.5 gallons of water to achieve a dilution of 25 ppm. i have read that for a no rinse sanitizer solution i need 12.5 ppm, correct? so then i should just either increase the water volume to 5 gallons or decrease the iodine to 0.25 oz, correct? i need to know quick because i want to keg my british pale ale and im mixing it right now. thanks yall and sorry for another iodine question. couldnt find anything about 1.75% iodine solution.

hey yall. i got some iodine udder wash from the local farm supply store by my house and the concentration is 1.75% iodine. the bottle says mix 0.5 oz with 2.5 gallons of water to achieve a dilution of 25 ppm. i have read that for a no rinse sanitizer solution i need 12.5 ppm, correct? so then i should just either increase the water volume to 5 gallons or decrease the iodine to 0.25 oz, correct? i need to know quick because i want to keg my british pale ale and im mixing it right now. thanks yall and sorry for another iodine question. couldnt find anything about 1.75% iodine solution.

Edited: You need 1.5 ml per gallon to make a 12.5 ppm solution.

Happy kegging!

Edited: You need 1.5 ml per gallon to make a 12.5 ppm solution.

Happy kegging!

cheers mate, but i think your conversion was wrong. its 30 ml per ounce. so 0.25 ounces would be 7.5 ml. just so long as its supposed to be 12.5 ppm i should be good. thanks!

Gah. You're right. 30 ml per ounce, so 15 ml in 5 gallons of water, or 3 ml for a gallon of sanitizer -- same as iodophor.

so is iodophor 1.75% concentration? i have heard it as 1%. oh well. the stuff i got at the farm supply store was much cheaper than my LHBS. $11.30 after tax for 1 gallon when the LHBS sells a 1 liter bottle for $12.95 before tax. think i came out pretty well. lol

Latest posts

Back