Iodine HELP with first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
I tried the iodine test. WHen i put a drop into a sample from my mash, it went darker brown Any tips? Temp was between 150-158

10 lbs 2 row
12.5 quarts of water to start, but added 2 quarts more during process to heat up a little.

1st all grain and Fat bottomed girls is on the radio.

I am excited.:rockin:

Sounds like it's just the iodine coloring the wort. If you didn't see streaks of solid black, conversion is done and you're good to go.

i drained too fast. It skipped my mind. I will slowly do the next one then maybe recirculate some. I am about 2.5 gallons at 1.055

Sometimes it's hard to tell, especially with a dark wort. What I do is I tilt the bowl so the iodine/wort gets stretched out in a very thin layer. Starch positive tests (i.e. not yet converted) will have a very distinct purple color to it. Try it right after you mash in next time to see what to look for. Also, any grain particles will cause the iodine to change color so be careful you get a clear sample.

Or get some white sidewalk chalk and test on that: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Starch_Test

Kai

Thank you VERY much for this post! I did the test on my first AG batch ~ an american pale ale and was sure that conversion had occurred. My last batch was a dry irish stout and I didn't think that I would be able to see anything on a plate due to the already dark color. I will definitely try this trick on my next batch.

i'm having trouble finding iodine. where did you guys get it? apparently you use it to make meth. go figure junkies ruin something else.....

Back