Intro and question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalethepotter

Reaction score
Greetings! DalethePotter here and I have been doing lots of research on equipment, techniques, etc. as I explore brewing at age 67. I retired from teaching in 2010, ended up rebuilding a new house due to tornado in 2012 and have finally gotten close to finishing the building of my brew room (10x16) just outside our full basement (okay, brew/grow room since I had to compromise and allow for over wintering plants in front of the almost 76 sq. ft. of windows.) As a potter, I'm experienced at developing and following recipes for glazes and do a decent job as a cook, so my main concern is buying equipment that will give me lots of flexibility, ease of cleanup and the added ability to do some distilled spirits. Currently interested in the Anvil Foundry 10.5 but wondering if I should purchase the pump for $99 knowing that I would want to upgrade to the stainless steel pump head for $30 more, or is there a better multiuse pump out there for that amount or less? I'll save my questions regarding fermenters for later. Thanks!

You can't really go wrong with making as much of your brew equipment stainless steel. So if you can get it in stainless and can afford it I'd do it. I don't know of the reliability or pumping capabilities of the Anvil pump, but I do know there are some awesome pumps out there that are stainless and/or even Tri-clamp if that's your style, but they're considerable more than $130.

That recirculation kit doesn't look bad for the money. The pump is a little weak (6 watt I believe) but for a $60 pump it looks like a great option on a budget. With proper flow adjustment you likely do not need to have a top plate (people sparge without them for many centuries). You're probably into $80-90 with loose parts before adding the top plate, that $99 kit looks like a solid price even if some parts go unused. +1 for Blichmann

A march pump cost $180, I am rebuilding a couple Grainfathers and will be buying that Anvil pump in lieu of the same one GrainFather uses, they have different brackets but otherwise they look like the same pump. Grainfather wants $200 for the pump and I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. -1 for foreign company

Since I have grown intimately familiar with the nuts & bolts on the Grainfather, your Anvil system looks nice! I vote for the pump, SS head upgrade is debatable, with proper cleaning and use you should not have trouble.

Thanks! I think you are right about the SS head, still leaves plastic impeller and body mount so not likely to make any difference for the $30 they charge but would look pretty 🙄
I really like the Grainfather system, but you are right about the cost and $200 for a pump is a hard pill to swallow. One of most attractive parts of the Anvil Foundry is the easy switching from 120 to 240 volts, which allows me to take it along for visits to friends and family.

Latest posts

Back