interesting scent in fermenter 10 days in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rguardian989

Reaction score
i just opened my carboy filled with a citra ipa i did recently. its been in there for about 10 days and it has a very interesting smell. its not hoppy to the gills like i would have expected it to be but it doenst smell bad like there is an infection nor does it look like there is one.

any ideas why im experiencing this?

You take a sniff and it smells a little sour, almost hot and burns your nose a little?

Mmmm c02 burn, really hits the spot ;)

Yeah, you're getting a big whiff of CO2 :D I've been brewing for almost 3 years now and still forget. Open the bucket take a whiff and cry as your brain dies and a little and your nose catches fire. I stopped telling myself not to do it again.

Hah, I remember my first CO2 sniff. I thought the scent coming out of the airlock was great so when I popped the lid I stuck my nose in and inhaled deeply... and then literally almost passed out. :D

I went a long time without repeating that mistake until I started kegging. I forgot that I left them full of CO2 after pressure testing so after I popped the lid I stuck my nose in there to see if it smelled clean. :cross: There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again. :p

Back