Interesting article in the New York Times today 11/29/06

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huge fan of the Titan IPA - damn now I have to stop at my beer store after the gym this evening. I have a fridge full of winter brews at even though it is in the mid 80s here. Trying to get in the Christmas spirit through beer though. Turn the air down real low and pour a Sam Smith's Winter Welcome.

I just tried the Titan IPA this past weekend. Good, although frankly it didn't strike me as terribly unique. It was a very good example of a beer style that I love, but the flavors struck me as pretty straightforward for a big IPA. Maybe I've just gotten too much Stone product in me, I've been spoiled... :D

the_bird said:
I just tried the Titan IPA this past weekend. Good, although frankly it didn't strike me as terribly unique. It was a very good example of a beer style that I love, but the flavors struck me as pretty straightforward for a big IPA. Maybe I've just gotten too much Stone product in me, I've been spoiled... :D
Well - I keep hearing about this Stone IPA and my interest is peaked. Unfortunately they not distribute to the great state of Florida. Titan IPA is about the best American IPA I have found. Although the Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA is fantastic (although you can't sustain yourself the entire night on 90 mins. - you will go out in an early blaze of glory!). Next time I am in a state that sells Stone - I am all over it. The hype is killing me. Until then - down goes another Titan!

Can someone clarify IPA history for me though. That article says that IPAs were made high in alcohol to withstand travels. I was under the impression that it was the high hops that made this possible. Is it just a combo of the two?

Thanks

fezzman said:
Can someone clarify IPA history for me though. That article says that IPAs were made high in alcohol to withstand travels. I was under the impression that it was the high hops that made this possible. Is it just a combo of the two?

Thanks
Both - hops are a natural preservative as is alcohol.

It's not entirely clear in Ray Daniels' book whether alcohol content really WAS increased. The key element is that they are very dry, very few residual sugars. Starting gravities were LOWER than for most other beers at the time, but it also looks like attenuation was higher, so it's not clear what the net result on alcohol content was.

But, as per Daniels it looks like the combo was not high hops/high alcohol, but high hops/low residual sugars.

Back