Interested In Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towers

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am interested in brewing my own beer here at home. However, I would really like to know if it's something I want to spend the time and money to get in to. Is there an inexpensive way to make a small amount of brew so I can see if it's something I want to pursue.

Thanks.
Towers

what made you interested enough to check out this forum?

i'm sure that reason alone is enough to answer your question. yes, you want to homebrew. are there any beers you like commercially, whether micro, craft or swill? if so, you can do better and cheaper, plus, it's a fun hobby.

:mug:
you won't find a "no" answer here, for sure.
You don't even need to purchase a book. you can learn everything you need from http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html and this website.

This is one of the coolest, cheapest hobbies in the world. You can start out for about $60 with a decent setup and make 5 gallons at a time. I know this is a lot of beer to make, but it only costs about $30 for the 5 gallons and you end up giving a lot away to friends who think it is also cool that you can "make your own" Check out some starter kits from www.midwestsupply.com and www.morebeer.com they have free shipping as well. Otherwise you can get a smaller, cheaper kit like Mr. Beer, but you will be dissapointed with the result and maybe get dissillusioned about the whole thing. Ask away, these guys (and girls) are super helpful and friendly. I sat where you sit 3 months ago!

Oh...one more thing.....free reading on the brewers bible.... www.howtobrew.com

Where are you located? Call around and see if there is a local Homebrew club near you, then pop in on one of their meetings and ask about watching a club brew session. You can't get cheaper than watching someone else do it, but don't be disallusioned if the club isn't friendly (unfriendly clubs are unfortunately out there).

Check your local paper/craigslist for anyone parting with their own gear.

This really is the best hobby, good luck. :mug:

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I have already found John Palmer's site and am reading through it. I was also talking with a friend today and he said that there is a "Home Brew" store located nearby where I am going to be tomorrow, so I'm going to go check out the stuff there.

So around $30 for 5 gallons... if I do my math correctly, that's about half as much as buying it in the store. Plus I have a few ideas I would like to try for different flavors and such. If I can get into this, my friend and I will start brewing soon.

Once you get your first brew going...you're gonna be hooked.

Nobody on this forum is in the mode of "I think I want to back off from this hobby".

All of the discussions are centered around,
"what am I going to brew next"
"what does it take to get into kegging my brew"
"How can I move to 10 gallon batches"
"I've done extract brews, now I'm ready to try and all-grain batch..."

Anyway, you get the point. As soon as your first batch is in bottles, I promise you, you'll want to get planning your next session right away.

Welcome to the dark side...:rockin:

uh oh... another convert!! My buddies got a keg of yeungling a couple weeks ago and I thought it tasted like swill...LOL. Homebrew makes GREAT beer!!! The ingredient costs are around half that of store bought beer, but you'll notice your gas/electric bill go up a little from prolonged use of the stove. If you do it outside you'll be eating a propane bill. There is also time costs in actual brewing, cleaning bottles, and bottling. In the end, I believe you get a superior product, so even if it was the same costs... who cares??

Its kinda like growing your own veggies in the garden, or getting them at a supermarket. Your stuff will ALWAYS taste better!!!! Man... nothin like picking some corn out of your garden, grilling, and slopping on some salt and butter ;)

Well, I spoke with my friend and he is wanting to do this too, we just need to gather the info, read some books, and get some startup funding together.

We live in Gwinnett County, Ga.

Welcome to the obsession...

Just don't be seduced too much by the idea that it's cheaper than buying beer. It is...sort of.

Once you assemble the basic (and maybe not so basic) gear and get good at the process, yeah, you'll be brewing beer that's better than the vast majority of what you can buy, for a lot less per bottle.

But you're also going to spend some money on the gear, you're going to probably end up drinking more beer than you used to, and you're probably not going to completely stop buying beer, either (style reasearch, etc.)

None of this is a reason not to do it--it's a *fantastic* hobby. Just have reasonable expectations about the financial aspect.

Ya, and I suspect that my first couple (or more) batches won't turn out right. I am currently unemployed and am looking for a job (which is why I have no money to start right now). So I think I'm going to take this time to learn as much as I can.

yeah... id concentrate on getting back to work rather than how your latest batch is coming along :) :)

If you follow the simple steps, theres no reason your first batch won't rock. After all, you are really just heating a pot of water with some stuff in it for 90 minutes, cooling, and throwing into a sanitized sealed bucket/carboy.

Question: I am looking on the morebeer.com website at all of the stuff they have for sale, and I see that they have a few different types of bottles (in the bottling section), but none of them are the normal 12oz bottles that you see in the stores. I do see a 6-pack case for 12oz bottles though. Do they have them for sale on that site and I'm just missing them? If not, where is a good place to get 12oz bottles. Or perhaps should I just hang on to the bottles when I buy beer?

Also, what about reusing bottles? How does one go about cleaning/sanitizing the bottles to make them safe to reuse?

Yes, hang on to the bottles you have. You can strip them of their labels overnight in warm water (I've heard oxyclean also does wonders). Then run them through a cycle in the dishwasher. 12oz bottles should be available at your LHBS. In my experience, glass doesn't ship well, so online isn't the best bet. I think most people here get stuff online from AustinhomeBrew, Northernhomebrew and Midwesthomebrew.

I stopped by my local home brew store the other day and the owner mentioned a starter kit that involved two buckets. He said (in a nutshell) I boil my ingredients, then pour them into the first bucket, add the yeast, then wait 5 days, filter the yeast out and pour the mix into the second bucket, then wait 7 days and it's ready for bottling. Is this just another way to do it? Cause the starter kit I saw on morebeer.com looked more like a water-cooler bottle and a hose coming out of it.

The water cooler you saw was a glass carboy, often used in primary or secondary fermentation. You don't NEED one to start. Buckets work just fine. If you get a 'kit,' you typically get 2 buckets in it anyways (one with a bottling spigot, and one for regular fermentation). You can always ferment in the bottling bucket.

To go cheap you need the following items:
2 buckets (1 with the spigot)
1 racking cane, 5' hose, bottling wand
1 hydrometer (for reading gravity)
1 big old spoon to stir things up
1 pot capable of boiling about 3 gallons
1 bottle capper + caps (about 53 for a 5gal batch)

Bottles you can save up by drinking microbrew. :)

Towers said:
Ok, I'll start saving my bottles then.

Unless you have a table top bottle capper, you'll want to save pop-top bottles (non-twisties). Capping a twist off with a regular hand-held capper (normal beer kit issue) is not advised.

BierMuncher said:
Unless you have a table top bottle capper, you'll want to save pop-top bottles (non-twisties). Capping a twist off with a regular hand-held capper (normal beer kit issue) is not advised.

ooooook, nevermind then... I'll probably just buy some bottles when I get my equipment and then just reuse those.

Towers said:
ooooook, nevermind then... I'll probably just buy some bottles when I get my equipment and then just reuse those.
I found that buying Sam Adams or other craft beers on sale was not much more expensive than buying new empties at the HBS.

Those bottles are just fine to clean and reuse.

I agree. My roommate and I do a process we call 'Making Bottles' which is going out and buying a couple sixers of microbrew and drinking ourselves into some nice empty bottles.

Make a friend with a bartender that serves NR bottles and ask them to save some for you. Usually they just smash em up into the garbage can.

If you look closely, you can figure out which bottles work for capping. You can tell the twist-offs because there's a spiral indentation on the cap winding around the bottle. It's tough to tell, but not impossible. The second thing to look for is a fat ring around the neck (easier shown than described). It should be about a 3/4" wide band around the bottle. If the bottle has that band and doesn't have the threads for a screw top, then it is fine for bottling homebrew.

In the past, there was a thread that discussed all the different beers that come in the right bottles. Steigl is my personal favorite because the bottles are .5 liters and that makes the bottling go faster and also, after a 5 minute soak, their labels slip off easier than a hooker's panties.

It's always a weird feeling when I go into a liquor store to buy un-emptied bottles and the workers keep giving me funny looks wondering why I'm inspecting all the caps and necks on the bottles. Things get even weirder when one of them asks me if I need assistance and I say, "Yes... I'm looking something in non-twist-off bottles... and the bottles have to be brown... do you sell anything like that?"

Yes, that is a real discussion I had with a sales clerk at my local liquor store. No joke!

Is there a thread that tells how to brew beer that tastes like X brand? Like I usually drink Bud Light, but I recently tried "Dos Equis" and I REALLY liked it. So I would like to brew something similar to that.

HEY EVERYONE!!! I'm Back!

Well, in these past few months I have gotten a nice full time job and am currently using my free time to do a play. So, now that I have my finances in order I believe I am going to actually try and get into brewing :)

However, no one replied to my last thread in this post (the one above this one). I would really like to make something that tastes like Bud Light. I also think a thread about how to make beer that tastes like X brand would be a nice way for people to try new (and perhaps even foreign) beer they can't get in their area :):tank:

For starters, order yourself a recipe kit from Morebeer.com or Austinhomebrew.com and get the process down. You can mess around trying to clone commercial brews in the future. Bud light and other swill brews are rice syrup adjunct heavy and they are also lagers which are not for beginners. Go with an American Blonde Ale.

Go try some "Craft Beers" like ....... Sierra Pale Ale, Sam Adams, Becks Lager, Stone brewing Co. ales. This will give you an idea of the different tastes. Sierra Pale ale has a cascade hop taste. Becks is a very dry (not sweet) lager. Read about all kinds of hops, yeast and types of grain on the web.

Towers said:
Is there a thread that tells how to brew beer that tastes like X brand? Like I usually drink Bud Light, but I recently tried "Dos Equis" and I REALLY liked it. So I would like to brew something similar to that.

from my research into making a butt light clone, I figured it would be cheap/ easier to buy 5 gallons of bud,
why not go out and try some beers, find out what you like, look at it this way, you wont like every six pack you buy, but you might stumble upon that one type of beer that you love, and then you have a starting point for what you would like to brew.

my theory is whats $10 wasted to be able to say I like that, or no its not my style, thats how I learned that I like sushi

If you don't knwo where to start (or don't want to just grab a craft brew off the shelf) try www.beeradvocate.com to find out about beers

Almost everything on tap at your local watering hole is a lager (unless you happen to be in a good beertown). All the Bud Miller Coors, lights or regulars are American Lagers. Sam Adams Boston Lager probably got you thinking it was the ultimate representation, but it's really not. I don't really know what "thicker" means other than mouthfeel, but it has nothing to do with lager/ale distinction. A barley wine, stout, and octoberfest all have thick mouthfeels and only the okt is a lager.

Welcome to the craziness. There is a homebrew supply house in Gwinett County, GA that I went to about a month ago. I can't recall the name right now, but they are around Lilburn. The guy that works there will be happy to help you out with a good recipe.

A good local brew to try in the Atlanta area is Sweetwater. The Sweetwater 420 is a pale with a good hop taste. If you prfer something a little lighter, if you can fid their summer brew "Road Trip" I'd think you'd probably like it. A little lighter than the 420.

As you get more of the taste for beer, you will start to broaden your pallett and realize that Bud Light and the Mexican Lagers are watered down, no taste bilge water.

Good luck you you. I'd recommend getting in the car today hitting the brew store in Lilburn and get that first batch going. It looks like a beautiful weekend in Atlanta to brew beer. I'd also stop by a good liquor store ( Green's is great in ATL) and pick up a 6'er of Sweetwater. Good beer and reusable bottles.

Good Luck, and keep us informed.

Cheers and Fair Winds,
Kevin

Tidewater Brewing

I'm located on the Ga coast. If you're heading to Jekyll or St. Simons some time, come by and I'll share a few homebrews with ya.:tank:

Thanks for the info Kevin. I found a Home Brewing store (that's the name of it) on Indian trail. The guy who owns it is an old guy and offers beer and wine making classes for free. So I think I'm going to go there sometime soon. The last time I was there I saw a "beginners kit" for like $60. I just need to find the space to do it here in my house.

Ok, So I have purchased a 12-pack of Sweetwater 420. It's pretty good, a bit bitterer.....more bitter.....(hmmm how do you say that) than what I'm used to. I'll probably try the Road Trip next. I couldn't remember what you had suggested, so I called my friend (who's tried lots of beers) and he recommended the 420.

I've found that most of the "good" craft beers are very hoppy for my personal tastes. But the nice thing about brewing your own is that you can reduce that bitterness by adjusting the amount and boil time of your hops. I'd try a simple american pale ale from extract for a nice starting point and follow the recipie. From there you can adjust your flavors to your personal taste as you make additional batches.:mug:

Another good Sweetwater is the Sweetwater Blue. Brewed with blueberries. Unique taste. I used to like it, but as my beer pallet has matured, I prefer an IPA so bitter that your skull caves in!!:cross:

Cheers and Fair Winds,
Kevin

Ok, so tonight's "new experience" is Smithwick's. I REALLY like this brew. I will defiantly be adding this to my list of "mimic recipes" I'll try and copy.

Bobby_M said:
Yeah, it's good but don't ever pronounce it Smith-Wicks. It's pronounced like "Smitticks". Don't ask how I know.

Uhhh, ya.... I found that out too..........:(

Back