Intentional use of bread as adjunct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattTimBell

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting to think about my next batch, and had an idea: what use might bread have as a deliberate adjunct?

What got me thinking of this is that I've a mind to try to make a smoked Baltic porter and, in the past, I've always been disappointed with smoked malts. The flavor they impart is so subtle to begin with, and the long boil times I need to concentrate my runnings into a high gravity wort send all the smokey aromatics away into the ether.

That's what got me thinking about bread. It's larger, thicker, and more porous than malt. I once had a biscuit based fruit cobbler made in a wood-fired oven, and it took on an intensely smokey character. I'd bet bread cooked on smoker would do much the same thing, perhaps even more so. Might it be enough to make a REALLY smoky wort, one that could stand up to a long boil and land that character into the finished beer?

The other thing that got me thinking about this: *Baltic* porter would seem to associate with the same region as Kvass and Sahti, the latter reportedly sometimes involving bread as an adjunct and the former most definitely bread based.

Has anyone ever used substantial amounts of bread for this purpose? Is this a hair-brained idea, or something with some merit?

-- Matt

why don't you just try to increase smoked malt quantities?

Maybe because he wouldn't learn as much from that? We all brew for different reasons. Some homebrewers are in search of that perfect Heady Topper clone or whatever. Others want to create something unique. For the second group, sometimes it's the most "hairbrained" ideas that lead to the neatest results. And, even if it creates a mess, it might be an educational mess.

Also, don't forget that just because something isn't done or isn't financially feasible on a commercial scale, doesn't mean it couldn't have a great result on a homebrew scale.

Has anyone ever used substantial amounts of bread for this purpose? Is this a hair-brained idea, or something with some merit?

-- Matt

Hair-brained idea? Well maybe....but that depends on how the beer comes out. Here's a story of someone trying it on a small commercial scale:

http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/beer-made-unsold-bread-helping-combat-food-waste

http://www.beerproject.be/en/beers/15-babylone

This write up gives some details on how its done: The bread is dried out at 180F then ground up and with barley malt at a rate of 30% ground bread to 70% malt. The interesting thing would be to try different kinds of old bread,
pumpernickel, rye , oat bread, multi grain....

http://www.livingcircular.veolia.com/en/innovations/changing-bread-beer

Back