Instant Brew Stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing would probably work, but you could build a stand for a whole lot cheaper.
If you know someone with a welder you could build something like that for around 30 bucks (plus some beer for his services)

I made a set of similar Costco shelves into a 3-tier stand last summer with a couple Bayou classic burners. The stand will hold the weight fine, as long as it doesn't have any lateral force. The first time I filled my MT/LT I noticed the whole thing wanted to twist and sway. I quickly drained it and put in some corner bracing from angle iron and drilled/bolted all the shelving connections. I guess I used about an extra $40-50 worth of hardware/cutoff wheels/angle stock to make the thing sturdy enough that I would trust it with 5+ gal of hot water 6' in the air. In my case the shelving was free, so it was a decent setup. Having done it, though, I wouldn't buy the shelving to to this again. Try searching Craigslist for shelving.

I'm guessing the steel for most of the single tier brew stands cost more than $30. I'm sure the Brutus 10 builders can chime in on that.

Thanks for the feedback on the lateral stability..I hadn't thought of that. Since I probably won't be moving it once built I could attach it to the wall where it will sit.

I wonder what the builders of the erector set style stands from another thread are finding in lateral stability?

Bolting to the wall would help with the lateral stresses, but how are you going to keep the heat from the burners from scorching your house?

From the erector style brew stands that I've seen they're bolting in gussets in the corners. These serve the same purpose as the corner-to-corner bracing that I added. You could go that route as well, cutting and drilling your own gussets form a sheet of galvanized.

I'm going all electric so I'm not concerned about scorching the my shop wall. I have a sheet of cement board taking up space I could screw to the wall if it was a concern or I decided to go gas. Gussets are a good idea anyway.

I too have seen several different styles of shelving racks at Costco over the last couple of years. Most were a lot less beefy and durable than this one so I never gave them a second thought. After following the other thread (erector style) this one caught my eye and the price didn't seem bad to me. Steel and even wood are not cheap these days and I would have to go back to that other thread to check what those guys paid in supplies to build the erector stands but if I remember it was over $100. I think just the 6' long pieces were $21 a piece.

I was wrong on the parts prices on the erector style. From his thread:

Qty Part# Description Price
2 each 8968K26 1-1/2" X 1-1/2", 6’ length $17.32
6 each 4664T65 2-1/4" X 1-1/2", 6’ length $66.54
16 each 4664T22 Steel Corner Plate, 6"x 6" $35.52
1 pack 4664T61 Bolts W/nuts & Washers $12.89
4 each 8789T42 400 lb. capacity caster $91.84
Total: $224.11

So if you take away the 400lb casters which are overkill and replace with say 250lb ones it drops the price quite a bit.

I just saw this rack and thought it might be an option for someone that wants to go weldless.

I will probably get this rack when I start my build and will post my progress. I may be a couple months out though.

steel pricing is cheap... you need 40' of 1.5' tubing at less than $1.00 a foot you CAN build or have it built if you have a buddy who can weld for pretty darn cheap.

-=jason=-

I was wrong on the parts prices on the erector style. From his thread:

Qty Part# Description Price
2 each 8968K26 1-1/2" X 1-1/2", 6’ length $17.32
6 each 4664T65 2-1/4" X 1-1/2", 6’ length $66.54
16 each 4664T22 Steel Corner Plate, 6"x 6" $35.52
1 pack 4664T61 Bolts W/nuts & Washers $12.89
4 each 8789T42 400 lb. capacity caster $91.84
Total: $224.11

So if you take away the 400lb casters which are overkill and replace with say 250lb ones it drops the price quite a bit.

That is what I did. I got everything except the casters. I found locking casters on surpluscenter.com that were rated for 270 lbs each and they only cost 4 bucks a pop.

I am in the final stages of my build. I have around $300 in materials (metal, weld wire, gas, paint, primer, etc.) That does not include nuts and bolts. Most things I fabricated to keep cost down. Tap and die will save nuts and bolt costs. I'll post a picture when completed.

Ok I didn't know steel prices were that cheap. I have access to a welder and someone that will probably weld for beer. Tap and die is no problem either. I found some nice heavy casters at a local building material recycle store for about .50 a piece...not sure of the rating but i'm pretty sure they will be more than adequate.

Look forward to the pic's of your build Fish! Thx for the input all. I'll probably start pricing steel soon.

That thing would probably work, but you could build a stand for a whole lot cheaper.
If you know someone with a welder you could build something like that for around 30 bucks (plus some beer for his services)

I don't think so. Did you forget the cost of the raw material (steel tubing)?

Sawdust, that was my thoughts as well. I'll know once I start pricing some steel tubing. Either way the industrial rack from Costco is an alternative that some may use. In fact if I find steel tubing is pricier than some say it is I will probably buy one. Worst case scenario I can always use more shelving in my shop.

Edit: Just checked some prices online for 6' 1.5" x .12" hot roll square steel tubing and it's $28 per piece. I won't be able to check local prices until Mon.

Back