Instant actuvity in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charley

Reaction score
Just finished a batch of wheat/IPA. I have activity in my airlock after 5 mins... Is that the air working itself after oxidation or is that actual CO2 already???

charley said:
Just finished a batch of wheat/IPA. I have activity in my airlock after 5 mins... Is that the air working itself after oxidation or is that actual CO2 already???

Could be anything but it's definitely not fermenting already unless you pitched like 50 trillion cells!

Many things cold make the airlock start bubbling, temperature changes, pressure changes, air working itself out, ect. As duboman said, no fermentation should be started at that point!

I echo the comments above - it's just settling pressures internally. Just as a tip, I put my airlock on my brew buckets as soon as I close them up but I don't fill them with the vodka until they're in their final resting place. Otherwise you do get some pressure changes and such from moving around - you may even get some of it sucked back when moving such that you no longer have enough vodka/water in the airlock.

When you cooled your wort, was the final temp lower than room temp? It could be warming up to room temp.

Yes. That must have been it. Cooled to 65. Took out of the ice bath and racked to carboy. Moved carboy to my cheap bucket/tub cooling system (carboy in a big tub with cold water and a towel wrapped around it). That's when I noticed the bubbles. They've stopped now. Got it settled in at 67 degrees

Back