Installed a pump on my burner stand today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 163849

Reaction score
In preparation to start brewing in my garage I have started accumulating knowledge from this site as well as putting together my brewing equipment.
Based on the recommendations of many to many on this and other sites I purchased a Bayou Clasic SQ14 burner. Based on my 64 year old back I cut up some angle iron and made that burner a little bit taller. I used a bit of sheet metal to make a wind screen around the burner and a heat shield beneath it.

I ended up with a March 809 pump which I had planed to build into a tool box or mount it on a frame for portable use. After checking out all the available tool boxes and my scrap pile I decided to just mount the pump on my burner stand just like the "big boys" do. At lest this way the pump will be easy to find and hard to borrow. Next I need to figure out where I can mount a switch without having it overheat during the boil. I will likely rotate the pump to a vertical position with the intake on the bottom.

Here are a few pics of the pump mount and stand. The legs are 2x2x3/16 angle iron. The wind shield around the burner is 16 gauge sheet metal while the heat shield beneath the burner is just some thin metal roofing. The pump mounting plate and gusset are 1/8" sheet metal and the splash/heat shield around the pump is 16 gauge sheet metal. I doubt any of it is "under built".

pumpmountbottom.jpg

pumpmountside.jpg

pumponmount.jpg

pumpsplashshield.jpg

Tested the pump, hoses and homemade whirlpool arm with cold water today (no time for a hot water test yet). Getting about 4.5 gallons per minute max and good whirlpool in 6 gallons of water while throttled back considerably. I think this should speed up cooling with the immersion cooler quite well. Thanks to these forums for all the good information.

WPtest.jpg

love it, nice job welding, i am especially jealous of the Miller welder in the background wish i had cool toys like that

Looks great! A couple of the pictures have it mounted horizontal and the last turned 90 degrees. Better flow? Also, the quick connect fittings, which did you use?

I am so jealous!
KorasDad

The Miller welder and plasma cutter are among my favorite tools.

I never actually tried the pump with the inlet and outlet in the horizontal position. Those pictures were taken during the design/fitting of the pump mount to the stand. I rotated the inlet to the bottom as that seems to be the most recommended orientation by those in the know. Also the pump is less likely to be bumped or snagged on anything with the inlet/outlet vertical as it is a more narrow target that way.....:)

The fittings are stainless steel cam locks from Brew Hardware, I think I am going to like them. The fittings got here so quickly I think they must have shipped them the minute I ordered them and everything was there and of fine quality. I'll be ordering from them again for sure!

Back