Insects in corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmc1

Reaction score
I made a batch of Eds Afpelwein today and after I got everthing mixed together and moved my carboy to the closet I noticed about 5 or 6 gnat sized insects floating on top. After checking everything I found that they were in my corn sugar not many just 3 or 4 in a 1lb bag. I really wouldn't worry if they had been boiled but now I'm afraid they might give my Afelwein an infection. What do you guys think?

If they are fruitflies, there is a good chance that you'll make apple cider vinegar. If they aren't, just some other kind of bugs, you might be ok. I'm a squeamish person, so seeing insects would freak me out and I'd throw it out.

Eww... Did you get the dextrose from your LHBS pre-packed? I'd draw them out with a sanitized turkey baster and bring them to the LHBS with my receipt. Heads may roll...

Eww... Did you get the dextrose from your LHBS pre-packed? I'd draw them out with a sanitized turkey baster and bring them to the LHBS with my receipt. Heads may roll...

Yep bought it pre-packaged. I still have some in the packs with insects in them thats how I knew it was the sugar. They are not alive but if you look close you can see a few in the bag.

throw it in the freezer. It'll kill 'em.

They are already dead. In fact they look dehydrated. I opened a bag and removed a couple, put them in some water and they swelled up some. If they were processed with the sugar I'm not to worried about it.

Well I took a couple of the insects over to the local agriculture extension office and they said that they are Grain Beetles. So I'm gonna just wait and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back