[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean the password to the Localhost Database, it says I have to put something in there, I have no idea what to put

Are you referring to the MYSQL Root User Password?

According to my install log that popped up while installing the LAMP stack, and I set it to something I'd be guaranteed to remember (ie: not particularly secure, but familiar).

iirc, there's a big warning in the R'Pints installation notes about not setting that when it comes up in the install sequence. Oh, yeah, here it is:

"During the install there is a prompt request for a password. This password is for the MySQL root user, and you’ll need it later. WRITE IT DOWN — DON’T FORGET THIS PASSWORD!"

So, the XAMP stack procedure never bothered to ask? That seems weird...

Cheers!

Are you referring to the MYSQL Root User Password?

According to my install log that popped up while installing the LAMP stack, and I set it to something I'd be guaranteed to remember (ie: not particularly secure, but familiar).

iirc, there's a big warning in the R'Pints installation notes about not setting that when it comes up in the install sequence. Oh, yeah, here it is:

"During the install there is a prompt request for a password. This password is for the MySQL root user, and you’ll need it later. WRITE IT DOWN — DON’T FORGET THIS PASSWORD!"

Cheers!

yep, got all that, but if you read my post that says I used Xampp to install it on a win 8 laptop and it did not ask me to set up a password you would see that your comment is out of context.

yep, got all that, but if you read my post that says I used Xampp to install it on a win 8 laptop and it did not ask me to set up a password you would see that your comment is out of context.

Um, maybe. I thought I commented about the XAMP install not asking for a password. Maybe that was an edit I did like 10 seconds later, can't remember.

Anyway...that's weird. But it's a non-standard installation, so weirdness probably prevails...

Cheers!

quick question for those that have motion sensing going.

I have a few of these pir's laying around and was hoping i could use one.
http://www.parallax.com/product/555-28027

It accepts inputs from 3 to 6v. Im not sure what the output voltage is though.
Could i simply supply it from the 3.3v gpio pin instead of the 5v and be safe?

Would someone with a bit more electrical knowledge be kind enough to let me know if it will work?

Thanks

quick question for those that have motion sensing going.

I have a few of these pir's laying around and was hoping i could use one.
http://www.parallax.com/product/555-28027

It accepts inputs from 3 to 6v. Im not sure what the output voltage is though. Could i simply supply it from the 3.3v gpio pin instead of the 5v and be safe?

Would someone with a bit more electrical knowledge be kind enough to let me know if it will work?

Thanks

Should work fine if you run it on the 'Pi 3.3V rail. It may even be ok to run it from the 'Pi 5V rail: the HC-SR501 sensors I used when I put this together run on 5V but the output pin is 3.3V compatible. If you have a DVM you can see if your sensor works the same way.

And here's your setup (you had quotes around the url).
Looks like the party is at your place :D

yyC3SoF.jpg

Cheers!

Got my web based version up and running. Works on my ipad and iPhone but not my wife's. Need to clear my mobile browser cache, if they have one, and see if it still works on my devices

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ok folks, here's a status update for those wondering about v2 and whats in store...

The v2 release of RaspberryPints *WILL* have the code for the flowmeters in it to update the keg levels. At this time, that is the main feature addition to the current code set. At the present time, we have a basic implementation in place that allows for the configuration of taps (assigning the pins to the taps) thru the admin pages and an automatic refreshing of the display to show the change in keg level.

The current tested setup is using the Raspberry PI (I've tested on both a Raspberry Pi B and the newer B+), an alamode board, and the swiss flow meters mentioned earlier in this thread. We are in the process of alpha testing the setup and the code at this point in time to ensure it works properly.

Once the v2 has been released, the plan is then to focus on cleaning up some issues with the database structure and some other "behind the scenes" changes that will help with making the code more robust down the line. Other features such as being able to import beer.xml file and some of the other suggestions will be implemented once the flow meters have been implemented and other changes/fixes have been put in place.

Feel free to ask away if you have any questions.

Well ^that^ certainly got the blood flowing again!

I've had everything else up and running since April, and if you have a good (read: cheap) source for the flow meters and whatever fittings are needed to plumb them, I'd be happy to set up a "remote quality assurance testing facility" :D

Cheers!

When I get home from work later I'll look up what i have added...

I'd like that info as my pi keeps disconnecting from my network.

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

thanks day_tripper!
tested the out on the sensor and it stays higher than 3.3v so i think im just gonna just use the 3.3v rail to be safe.

And apparently now i need to buy some flow sensors......

I'm a bit queasy about where those used meters may have been ;)

thanks day_tripper!
tested the out on the sensor and it stays higher than 3.3v so i think im just gonna just use the 3.3v rail to be safe.

Prudence is wise in such matters ;)

And apparently now i need to buy some flow sensors......

Indeed.

Anyone have the part number for the John Guest push-to-connect fittings to connect male 3/8" BSP to beer line tubing? Is this stuff buried in this thread from back around winter before things went quiet?

Cheers!

My question is how far can I run the sensor wires for the flow meters? My rasbpi is currently working 4 arduinos in my ferment chamber and it's about 40-50 running feet through the walls and attic from my kegerator. My house has cat6 drops to every wall and I assume that's what I'll be using to break out the gpio pins.

ordered 4 of the flow meters. it was best offer so i offered 20.00 each and he accepted. i figure there isnt anything in there an alcohol bath cant take care of.

hopefully......

I'm wondering if an IR sensor can see through my "liquid midnight" stouts (they are off-the-SRM-chart dark - I don't fear Black Patent ;) )

Also, looking at the specs on the Swissflow site, running a tap dry might induce a rotor failure. That would be bad...

Cheers!

That sounds like the same guy I ordered mine thru. They work good and when I had a problem with one being doa he sent a replacement.

As far as how far away, I have no idea. It's low voltage, but i just don't know. They've got a 10 foot or so cord on them as it is...

@mcangeli, Lets get @day_tripper setup and running the flow meter code and use him as one of the alpha testers outside of our circle. Some things might seem simple and obvious to us but thats because we have been looking at the code for so long we might be missing something. @day_tripper, you willing to do that then give us a write up as an issue on the github page with any issues you find?

3 meters on their way from the ebay seller. He didn't accept $19.50 but $20 was a go so that seems to be the cut off point.

Super excited for volume data! Thank you to the team that works this stuff, you're way smarter on these things than I'd ever be.
-Kevin

@mcangeli, Lets get @day_tripper setup and running the flow meter code and use him as one of the alpha testers outside of our circle. Some things might seem simple and obvious to us but thats because we have been looking at the code for so long we might be missing something. @day_tripper, you willing to do that then give us a write up as an issue on the github page with any issues you find?

If anyone else out there has the Flow Meters and the Alamode board already and you would like to be a guinea pig, PM me and we'll see what we can do.

@mcangeli, Lets get @day_tripper setup and running the flow meter code and use him as one of the alpha testers outside of our circle. Some things might seem simple and obvious to us but thats because we have been looking at the code for so long we might be missing something.

@day_tripper, you willing to do that then give us a write up as an issue on the github page with any issues you find?

Oh, heck yes - with bells on! :ban:

Let me know what you need me to do and I'm there!

Cheers!

3 meters on their way from the ebay seller. He didn't accept $19.50 but $20 was a go so that seems to be the cut off point.
[...]-Kevin

Thanks for that! I screwed up some courage and ordered the meters, and also triggered an "accepted" at $20. Then was pleasantly surprised that the shipping wasn't multiplied by 7 :rockin:

What wasn't clear was whether the two fittings shown are included.

I'm having way more trouble finding what John Guest fittings to use with 3/16" ID Bevlex-200. Their catalog goes on for freakin' ever. My tubing will go on a 1/4" barb without problems, so I assume I need to find a 3/8" female BSP coupler with a barb adapter.

Anyone know what the part numbers are for those?

Cheers!

I'm having way more trouble finding what John Guest fittings to use with 3/16" ID Bevlex-200. Their catalog goes on for freakin' ever. My tubing will go on a 1/4" barb without problems, so I assume I need to find a 3/8" female BSP coupler with a barb adapter.

You will definitely have to use the barb connector with Bevflex 200 since the OD is a touch to big.

The part number for the barb connector is: PI1251208S that's the 3/8 insert with a 1/4 barb.

Is alamode gonna be a requirement?

For the flow meters yes.

The meters are hooked directly to the alamode which is serving as the arduino processor for this. I don't believe the pi can get the data from the flow meters with out it.

We're also looking at expanding the number of pins available by adding a third shield on top of the alamode, but thats further down the line.

http://rp.skypainterbrewing.com
is my current tap list. Its live with the flow meters on it. I've also added the untappd brewery feed for my "brewery" (did you know that homebrewers can add their brewery and beer to untappd?) and its pulling the rating and the beer label.

It also automatically posts to untappd for me when a pint is poured. I haven't figured out how to handle guests yet, but I do see some kind of rfid project in the future and fobs for my friends/guests...

I'd like that info as my pi keeps disconnecting from my network.

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

Sorry for the delay, the last few nights have been a lot crazier than I thought they were going to be. Anyway, yes. My wifi issue seems to have been solved. I just added a few lines of code to disable the power savings feature, and to automatically ping my router every so often.

Open lx terminal and type:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

Inside of that file, I added the following two lines;

# Disable power saving
options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

Save and exit, and then type

crontab -e

From there I scrolled all the way to the bottom and added this line;
*/1 * * * * ping -c 1 192.168.0.254

The IP address in that last line should be entered as the IP address of your wireless router.

Then finally, reboot your Pi

I'm not going to take the credit for this, I found this out after a bit of google searching. However, since I did it, I have not had one single connectivity issue for over a week now. It should be noted that this set of instructions was meant for the edimax dongle but since that's what I currently have, I didn't look further. Hope this helps. Let me know if it does or not.

You will definitely have to use the barb connector with Bevflex 200 since the OD is a touch to big.

The part number for the barb connector is: PI1251208S that's the 3/8 insert with a 1/4 barb.

You have an extra "1" in there but it got me started! Thanks very much for that, I wasn't making any headway until now! :mug:

So PI251208S is the 3/8" tube to 1/4" hose barb. Excellent! Found it on Amazon but with a 2-4 week lead time :( I'll keep looking around.

And I think I finally found the 3/8" female BSP to 3/8" tube connector. It's JG part number PI451213S.

Look right to anyone that's been there/done this?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks right, but I was able to use the ones on it with barbs that I got from freshwatersystems.

I'll see if I can find the link.

[...]We're also looking at expanding the number of pins available by adding a third shield on top of the alamode, but thats further down the line.

My Centipede suddenly looked hopeful ;)

By the way, how many taps can 'Pints handle without a Centipede?

http://rp.skypainterbrewing.com
is my current tap list. Its live with the flow meters on it.[...]

That...is...awesome!

Very exciting times!

Cheers! :mug:

Day check http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-2485-stem-barb-connector-38-od-stem-x-516-id-barb.aspx (those are the ones I have but they should have others and better lead time)

Thanks a lot for that lead!

I need parts for 6 faucets to start, plus a couple of spares, and Freshwater Systems will sell me 14 pieces of the barb adapter for less than getting stuck buying ten packs on Amazon and having a lot of leftovers.

I received email from the ebay flow meter seller confirming that the fittings for 3/8" OD tubing are included (yay! Saves me around $50!) so I just ordered the barbed adapters. Meters could be here by Friday but probably Monday, hopefully these guys can get the plastic bits up here from SC by then!

Thanks again!

Cheers!

And I think I finally found the 3/8" female BSP to 3/8" tube connector. It's JG part number PI451213S.

Cheers!

When my meters were delivered they came with those attached so all I needed was the insert to 1/4" barb. You may want to check before spending money on the other connectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my meters were delivered they came with those attached so all I needed was the insert to 1/4" barb. You may want to check before spending money on the other connectors.

Thanks! Yes, I did just that (posted a few replies back) to confirm the BSP adapters were included, so I only ordered the barbed adapters.

Also ordered another SD card to speed up recovery when I break stuff ;)

Cheers!

[edit] I found a really informative write-up on the SF-800 meters. It preempted a metric crap ton of questions I'd have bugged everyone with ;) And looking at those cables I'm thinking I'll build a patch board to go from the meter cables to a VGA 15 pin D-SUB bulkhead connector to exit the rear edge of my keezer's lid and make a twisted pair cable up to get to the AlaMode...

Back