[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could also setup a raspberrypi on your home network and use an ipad or android tablet to display the tap list.

I don't remember the names, but there are Android apps that let you turn on your screen by waving your hand in front of the proxy sensor. If the tablet has one, it would be an awesome way of turning it on.

I tried using a .png file for a brewery logo and it wouldn't appear. Is the brewery logo only .jpg, or is it something I'm doing?

PNGs are supported and tested.

Your browser is caching the image.

If you get home and it does not work, feel free to email me the image (If you want to) and I will test it here on the dev system. [email protected]

Hard-refresh with Ctrl-F5. Alternatively, apply the v1.0.1 hotfix. I forced the browser to toss the cached version with every page load.

2.) THERE IS A NEW RELEASE called v 1.0.1 Hot Fix. please review the changes that were made on the github download page. Enjoy! Download Now

Indeed. Download the ZIP, unzip it, and copy the files right over your existing ones. Nothing else to it.

What did I do wrong where I do not get options for this field when adding a beer to tap?

Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 8.27.43 PM.png

I'll try that when I get home and report my findings.

Also, has anyone had a difficult time getting out of kiosk mode in Chromium? I found that 'F11' wasn't working as expected and that the quit keys are actually Ctrl+Shift+Q.

I have had the same problem. Was annoying until I accidentally disconnected the power cable Oh well.

Oh, to the devs, here is one thing I noticed. When I click the 'your logo here' to go into administration mode, then finish my administration, there is nowhere that I can see to get back to the taplist screen after logging out. I can click the your logo here brewery logo while logged in as admin to get back to the tap list but my admin is still logged in. Am I missing something?

I ask this because I occasionally still have trouble connecting to the webpage from my craptop (I have since bookmarked the page) because it still likes to look for the index.html page. I blame the craptop though, it is 5 years+ overdue for a re-imaging.

Thanks for a great project! If any of you guys end up in the Chicago area, let me know and I will buy you a few beers.

I know the flow meters are not yet supported, and will not be supported until the next major version is released. Hopefully by then, I will have moved my "brewery" website off of a shared hosting plan on onto my own servers in house and I will purchase and integrate a RPi device. In the meantime however, are there any instructions on how to manually install onto a shared web hosting system that does not have root access for MySQL?

I can create a database and manually edit the database name in the schema so that it does not have to create the database on import. I know this because I tried it and it did import the schema through phpMyAdmin, but I assume that other things (config files) will need to be edited and more importantly I don't know what renaming the database may have possibly broken. Hopefully, the database name is a variable in the code, but based on the fact that the installer is not prompting for a database name, I suspect it is hard coded wherever it is needed. I did not want to re-invent the wheel (and possibly edit a lot of code) if somebody else has already figured out what needs to be done. As I am new to this project, hopefully somebody had figured this out already.

Thanks again!

-Kurt

I haven't set mine up yet, as I will be doing that sometime this week, but I do have a question. Is it possible to display an On Deck area? Where you can fully display the beers that are currently in the primary or secondary the same way that the ones on tap on displayed but under another sub heading?

BEERS ON TAP

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

BEERS ON DECK

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

I haven't set mine up yet, as I will be doing that sometime this week, but I do have a question. Is it possible to display an On Deck area? Where you can fully display the beers that are currently in the primary or secondary the same way that the ones on tap on displayed but under another sub heading?

BEERS ON TAP

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

BEERS ON DECK

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

I just added a "coming soon" ....here at the bottom..

http://69.180.140.122/index.php

BEERS ON TAP

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

BEERS ON DECK

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

Not in this version unless you do something like rabeb25 did and assign nonexistant tap numbers.

How about an option to change text size/color? Other backgrounds make it basically impossible to read the text.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is it possible to set up the Raspberry Pi with everything on a monitor different from the one I'll be using? I'm waiting for my cable and VESA mount to get here tomorrow, but I can plug the RPi into my television and configure everything.

And, if I go horizontal, approximately how many beers can I display with a 1280x1024 monitor? (I only need about 6 showing...4 serving and two in the wings.)

Thanks.

You can use your tv. I use mine right now to test stuff w/ Rpints and I can get 5 on my w/ a 25" tv in normal rotation.

Is it possible to set up the Raspberry Pi with everything on a monitor different from the one I'll be using? I'm waiting for my cable and VESA mount to get here tomorrow, but I can plug the RPi into my television and configure everything.

And, if I go horizontal, approximately how many beers can I display with a 1280x1024 monitor? (I only need about 6 showing...4 serving and two in the wings.)

Thanks.

I set it up with my 40" 1080p television in landscape. I too can show 5. Later today I will get it set up in it's permanent location with a 22" computer monitor.

You may have to reconfigure it to the other screen (where you chose to enable or disable overscan) in case it's different. Otherwise it seems to be working fine for me.

Ooopsie...this is where I'm a plug-n-play guy.

I went through the steps to setup operating system, but I forgot to change (or select) the Boot Environment Setting.

How would I get back to the screen to change this?

Ooopsie...this is where I'm a plug-n-play guy.

I went through the steps to setup operating system, but I forgot to change (or select) the Boot Environment Setting.

How would I get back to the screen to change this?

I could be wrong but I think you just open the Lx terminal and type raspi-config (you may not need to anyway)

ordered everything today....all the pi components, monitor, mount everything...

also new perlicks to upgrade, and another three tap tower. 8 taps baby!

come on big brown truck! :)

Is there a way to get the screen to go blank after a specified time frame? I don't want it to stay on all of the time, but I'd like it on for like a six hour time frame before it goes blank again.

After all the problems I had trying to use my Uverse router I just wanted to let everyone know that the system works great. After adding a Asus router as a access point to Uverse router everything else worked great. I followed the directions on the website and had no problems whatsoever.

Thanks guys for this system.

As the post before this one says, I would like some way to turn off the display (timer? Motion detector?) too.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I got my stuff set up tonight. I had a heck of a time with a few issues. First, don't stick the wifi USB dongle in while you are installing. It will restart your machine mid install. Second, I had errors and didn't have a task bar. I had to manually copy files over from the root user to be able to see it. For some reason a few files were totally blank.

I finally figured all that out and installed Raspberry pints with no issue. I do have a couple questions/comments though.

For the Tap number, can you allow us to name the taps? It would be great if I could name them P for primary, or S for secondary. Etc... I can keep my beers that are ON DECK with a different tap name until you guys implement an ON DECK feature.

Second, when I try to tap a keg and I select one of my drop down beers, why isn't all the information being auto populated? It requires me to fill in the info or it doesn't tap the keg, but then I have to manually go look up my beer from the other tab.

Third, it would make navigation much easier if at the top of the browser it stated what screen you are on instead of calling every tab Raspberry Pints. For example: RaspberryPints - My Beers, RaspberryPints - My Kegs, RaspberryPints - My Taps.

Fourth, the glasses on the left side has the color of the beer spilling outside the lines of the shape of the glass.

Great work all around guys, I am not trying to sound critical. I am just trying to help improve the software.

Thanks for a great project! If any of you guys end up in the Chicago area, let me know and I will buy you a few beers.

I know the flow meters are not yet supported, and will not be supported until the next major version is released. Hopefully by then, I will have moved my "brewery" website off of a shared hosting plan on onto my own servers in house and I will purchase and integrate a RPi device. In the meantime however, are there any instructions on how to manually install onto a shared web hosting system that does not have root access for MySQL?

I can create a database and manually edit the database name in the schema so that it does not have to create the database on import. I know this because I tried it and it did import the schema through phpMyAdmin, but I assume that other things (config files) will need to be edited and more importantly I don't know what renaming the database may have possibly broken. Hopefully, the database name is a variable in the code, but based on the fact that the installer is not prompting for a database name, I suspect it is hard coded wherever it is needed. I did not want to re-invent the wheel (and possibly edit a lot of code) if somebody else has already figured out what needs to be done. As I am new to this project, hopefully somebody had figured this out already.

Thanks again!

-Kurt

There are no instructions for this at this time. The database name is hardcoded. We have limited support time, so I would not expect this feature in the near future.

Perhaps somebody will come along and write a guide for this. We'll be relying on the community to produce and share setup guides for non-standard configs.

BEERS ON TAP

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

BEERS ON DECK

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

No, not at this time. Perhaps in the future.

I just added a "coming soon" ....here at the bottom..

http://69.180.140.122/index.php

You just created beers with "*COMING SOON*" at the beginning of the name.

Looks like you removed the RPints logo. Thadius isn't going to be happy about that! ;)

It's cool, man. Proper attribution on a free product is a bit much to ask.

Yes. The install instructions show you how to set the resolution.

No idea. I don't think any of the developers own a monitor that old or small.

I set it up with my 40" 1080p television in landscape. I too can show 5. Later today I will get it set up in it's permanent location with a 22" computer monitor.

He's not running 1080p, though I suppose 1028 h-res is close enough...

Is there an easier way of doing this? If we do the update without backing up will it delete everything?

No, there is no easier way to do this. If there was, I would have provided it.

It's literally 3 steps with a web interface. It shouldn't take you longer than 30 seconds to perform.

Edit: The backup is just-in-case. We don't intend for the update to hotfix to touch the database at all, so it should be safe.

Is there a way to get the screen to go blank after a specified time frame? I don't want it to stay on all of the time, but I'd like it on for like a six hour time frame before it goes blank again.

Anything is possible with Linux. Skip our xset steps, except the chrome-browser kiosk line (the last one). Try this:

http://simonmcc.blogspot.com/2013/09/raspberry-pi-turn-off-hdmi-after.html

I got my stuff set up tonight. I had a heck of a time with a few issues. First, don't stick the wifi USB dongle in while you are installing. It will restart your machine mid install. Second, I had errors and didn't have a task bar. I had to manually copy files over from the root user to be able to see it. For some reason a few files were totally blank.

I hope you wiped the card and restarted the install from scratch after that.

I finally figured all that out and installed Raspberry pints with no issue. I do have a couple questions/comments though.

For the Tap number, can you take off the number restriction? It would be great if I could name them P for primary, or S for secondary. Etc... I can keep my beers that are ON DECK with a different tap name until you guys implement an ON DECK feature.

You're welcome to change the datatype on that field. It's located in the schema at raspberrypints > kegs > label. Fair warning, we had a bit of buginess when allowing other characters. Proceed at your own risk.

Otherwise, please be patient and we'll try to get it rolled out in a future release. Right now, we're focused on flow meters (and a couple of us are fighting hefty real life commitments at the moment).

Second, when I try to tap a keg and I select one of my drop down beers, why isn't all the information being auto populated? It requires me to fill in the info or it doesn't tap the keg, but then I have to manually go look up my beer from the other tab.

You're the first person to say it doesn't auto-populate. It certainly does for us...

Third, it would make navigation much easier if at the top of the browser it stated what screen you are on instead of calling every tab Raspberry Pints. For example: RaspberryPints - My Beers, RaspberryPints - My Kegs, RaspberryPints - My Taps.

We intended for the admin panel to be used in full screen mode, so the title bar wouldn't showing. When using a browser other than directly from the Pi, we printed the name at the top of the page in bold grey text (on some pages, twice).

Third times a charm! I had a lot of problems with it just freezing up during install. I reformatted and reinstalled 3 times, but got it working. And thanks to this post:

I'll try that when I get home and report my findings.

Also, has anyone had a difficult time getting out of kiosk mode in Chromium? I found that 'F11' wasn't working as expected and that the quit keys are actually Ctrl+Shift+Q.

I was able to get it all wrapped up. Thanks Waffle! I can't wait to show it off to my friends. And thanks to the RaspberryPints crew! Well done!

RaspberryPints.jpg

There are no instructions for this at this time. The database name is hardcoded. We have limited support time, so I would not expect this feature in the near future.

Perhaps somebody will come along and write a guide for this. We'll be relying on the community to produce and share setup guides for non-standard configs.

No problems. If I get some free time over the next few weeks I may dig into the code and start playing around with it...or maybe I will just break down and purchase the RPi and start working on integrating it along with my existing WordPress website instead. That is assuming life doesn't keep getting in the way. I have only been able to brew one time so far this year, and had to basically skip 3 large local competitions because I have been too busy to even brew beer.

One other question, is there a place to send suggestions/ideas for changes/improvements? I have seen a couple of suggestions in this thread that I think were good ideas, and I did not know if there was somewhere "official" that suggestions should be made.

Thanks again for a great project. I got really burned out working on a couple of "volunteer" projects like this in the past. My only suggestion to you and the rest of the development team is to not let this project (or trying to meet the desires of any of us users) get in the way of what really matters (family and friends). I look forward to what the future brings for this project - whenever it happens.

- Kurt

How does one figure out the login to PHPmyAdmin username and password? Do you recommend using the Rack Cloud version or the downloaded versions? I may be making this overcomplicated since I have zero experience with Linux or code.

Yes I did wipe and reinstall from scratch.

You can see what screen you are in if you click on the tab, yes. But if you have 3-4 tabs up at once on a regular browser, you have no idea what navigation is on each tab. Something minor that i can tweak if you guys weren't planning on it. But yes, when I tap a keg and add my beer to it that has already been created, it does not auto populate any of the data. The only data it pulls is the description (which is not an option to be filled in). I am required to add data into the blank cells, which then will overwrite what was supposed to be pulled.

The only thing i can think of right now is that I am using firefox as a browser.

I will never add beers or do any admin stuff in full screen mode or from the pi. I will always use my browser as it is just much faster that way. Once you have it setup with a static IP, there is no real reason to be directly accessing it.

But yes, when I tap a keg and add my beer to it that has already been created, it does not auto populate any of the data. The only data it pulls is the description (which is not an option to be filled in). I am required to add data into the blank cells, which then will overwrite what was supposed to be pulled.

Just tested both version 1.0.0 and 1.0.1, and they both indeed autofill over here.

99PV1Fc.png

"Description"? What? That's not even a field on the page.

I think you're confusing yourself. Here's how the workflow goes.

1. You add a beer recipe to My Beers.
2. You add a keg to My Kegs.
3. You add a tap to My Taps.
4. You tap the keg.

It pulls all of the recipe values from the My Beer entry and auto-populates the values into tap page while you're tapping. But say you missed OG by two points and FG finished a point low, you can edit that here. What you enter here for OG/FG/IBU/SRM is what shows up on the front end, not what you put into the My Beers recipe. If you change the vitals here, it purposely does not modify the recipe.

Now... the question that I'm sure will be a followup: "Why let us enter it twice?"

Two reasons:

1. Most of us brew repeat batches or have a house ale. None of us hit all the numbers every time, and we want your vitals to be correct and accurate on the front end.

2. We want you to be able to import recipes from BeerSmith or ProMash in the near future. This requires BeerXML import support (we're working on it), which means we'll be importing the recipe's OG/FG/IBU/SRM.

I will never add beers or do any admin stuff in full screen mode or from the pi. I will always use my browser as it is just much faster that way. Once you have it setup with a static IP, there is no real reason to be directly accessing it.

Cool.

... If I get some free time over the next few weeks I may dig into the code and start playing around with it...

...One other question, is there a place to send suggestions/ideas for changes/improvements? I have seen a couple of suggestions in this thread that I think were good ideas, and I did not know if there was somewhere "official" that suggestions should be made....

Hey Kurt!
If you want to fork our repo and mess around, go right ahead! Just submit a pull request if you come up with anything good ;) You can also feel free to submit any bugs or suggestions as issues in the github repo.

Thanks for checking us out!

I don't think I am confusing anything. I did everything in those steps. That screen shot you posted, is that supposed to be autopopulated and then allow you to adjust it? Because mine show up all blank and I have to re enter all the data.

When I said it was pulling the description, I meant that on the actual final result page I see the description that is obviously being pulled from my beers and not my taps. All the end result info is correct. It is just that the my taps page is not auto populating any information from my beers and I have to re enter all new information.

Which is why I asked if Firefox made a difference.

Not sure why u said cool? I was just saying that a lot of users will be updating stuff from a pc, not from the raspberry. Making it work well on the pc is a good idea as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

Back