[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your subnet mask looks weird, most home routers usually assign 255.255.255.0, can you confirm that is supposed to that way? You can check against a Windows machine by opening command prompt and typing ipconfig /all

Also run ifconfig wlan0 on the pi to get more detail

Windows is also showing a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm only using the hotspot on my iphone. Maybe I need to go somewhere with an actual router and wifi service?

Yeah that could be your problem, I would guess that a mobile hotspot doesn't play well with client side static ip addressing.

Yeah that could be your problem, I would guess that a mobile hotspot doesn't play well with client side static ip addressing.

I tried plugging it in directly to the pi (USB) and it just kept asking if I "trust this computer" and every time I selected "trust" it asked again and the pi gave me an error.

It is weird that it connects but I can't get online. On windows, it works.

...and the iphone won't let me set a static IP address to it. Evidently, you have to go trough verizon for that and it costs $500.

I'm too lazy to find the 'shut up and take my money' meme, but that's what I'm feeling. Been looking for a way to jazz up the keezer, I think this will do the trick.

Congrats on all the hard work. I do a lot of software and embedded systems work professionally, and I know what a pain in the butt it can be. And that's without a community of homebrewers standing behind me 'helping'.

If you accidently find yourselves in southeastern MI (and to be honest, I'd avoid it), first pint is on me

I'm not a huge fan of no-name WiFi adapters. Some RealTek chipsets have a way of ****ting the bed. If you're looking for a dirt cheap NIC, check eBay. That model is allll over it for $3-5. However, my experience is that the no-name ones without a chipset listed drop connection a lot when they overheat (and they will!).

Are you referring to something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-NIC-150Mbps-WiFi-Wireless-N-WLAN-USB-Adapter-Stick-XP-7-Mac-/290648750088?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item43ac03f808

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-150Mbps-802-11N-G-B-USB-2-0-WiFi-Wireless-Network-LAN-Card-Adapter-8319-/171012072916?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item27d11d25d4

So if anyone can get their rpi online using their iphone hotspot, please share...

First of all, this is an absolutely awesome offering and continued updates and interactions from Thadius and his group is just phenomenal!

I'd ordered all the required parts in the parts list provided a few weeks back and just haven't had time to get on it but since today is release day, it's as good a time as any! :)

I'm new to the RaspberryPi thing but not new to technology and I've read every post in the thread today and didn't see a specific answer to a question I had. I'm sure it's in there somewhere and apologize in advance for asking if it is but I see several options for an OS on the RPi. Do you guys have a preferred one that you've been building and testing on? I'm not worried about the actual task of installing or anything, just wondering if you have an official os for the application?

Thanks again for all you've done, it's nothing short of incredible! :)

So if anyone can get their rpi online using their iphone hotspot, please share...

I will be setting up my Pi tonite and once it's up and running, I'll try with both my Verizon MiFi device as well as the Hotspot on my iPhone and let you know.

Also, if you just want to be able to access it while in your home, you could just get a cheap wifi router. You do not have to have internet. When using the router without an internet connection, you will essentially just be networking the devices you have in your home on it.

The rpi would connect with ethernet cable directly to the router or wifi. Then via your phone, connect to the wifi (you will not have internet access on your phone while connected), you should be able to access the web page since you are both on the same (internal) network.

The rpi would connect with ethernet cable directly to the router or wifi. Then via your phone, connect to the wifi (you will not have internet access on your phone while connected), you should be able to access the web page since you are both on the same (internal) network.

The part about not being able to have the phone connect to the internet is not true. He can use his cellular data to access the internet if he needs it.

This is for setting up airplay only with a airport express in a car but the last bit should work for any router and allow you to access the RPi and use the internet. Ignore the part about modding the airport express. Not sure you would want to use your phone as a hotspot it would be a huge bottle neck and suck your data unless you have unlimited.

Buying a cheap router like Egeek stated would be your best bet. That would allow you to use your hotspot and a in home network.

Forgot the link.

http://evolver.fm/2013/06/06/airplay-on-the-highway-put-apple-airport-express-in-your-car/

He could toggle between the connections but I am pretty sure you cannot have two active connections simultaneously on the iPhone. Meaning the interface to RPI would go over the wifi connection to a non-internet connected router and searching google over the cellular network in another application/browser.

I could be wrong and if so that's totally fine (it happens occasionally ;)) and I'd sure like to know how as that could come in useful sometime.

I will be setting up my Pi tonite and once it's up and running, I'll try with both my Verizon MiFi device as well as the Hotspot on my iPhone and let you know.

I would really appreciate that. I can't think of anything else to try so it be helpful to see how you do it.

I would really appreciate that. I can't think of anything else to try so it be helpful to see how you do it.

I think in order for the web server part to work (from outside, since you cant really do a static IP address) you would have to install a dynamic dns client on your rpi like is detailed here

http://blog.mivia.dk/free-dynamic-dns-for-raspberry-pi/

otherwise if you are not going to be admin-ing it from a different computer and just hook a keyboard/mouse to it to do so you should be able to get by with a regular dynamic ip that you can get from conneting directly to the hotspot.

So if my computer can ping google, then can I just connect the pi via Ethernet cable directly to the computer and the pi should then be able to do it too?

not unless you can bridge the connections and use a crossover cable. if you have an old switch/router you can possbly make it work without the crossover cable.

I would just invest in a cheap router. Doing the admin on your computer will be much easier. If you have a computer recycling center in your town that is the best place to get one for a good deal.

not unless you can bridge the connections and use a crossover cable. if you have an old switch/router you can possbly make it work without the crossover cable.

I don't even know what that means, so i'll take it as a no. Thank you for the response.

Sorry. There is a trick that can be done called bridging a network connection. What it does is allow you to, for example, connect two network interfaces (wireless card and hard wired network card) as one basically sharing your internet with whatever is down the line. This way you could use your computer to pick up an internet connection in the wireless card and share it out from the wired connection. it is not very simple or all that fun so I dont really reccomend it. so, since your internet is through a phone you may be able to dial into the internet using your pi, though I honestly do not know enough *inux to tell you in good faith how to set it up.

I'm sorry for the tangent but another question:

The router would connect to my computer and the pi. Then it would connect to the Internet via my wifi hotspot and both computer and pi would have an Internet connection? I would only need a router (no modem)?

The hotspot would be your modem.

What wifi hotspot are you using?

Is your hotspot a wifi hotspot? If so you do not need a router or switch. If it is a wired connect via usb or through the weird card interface to a laptop you would have a hard time connecting it to the switch/router. if it hooks up with a network cable, yes. if it is wifi and you have a wifi dongle for your pi just use the debians preinstalled icon off the desktop called wifi config to log into it

Are you guys planning on doing a commercial release of this? Something were you could mod it to fit your bar or brewery decor?

Less than an hour to go.....

rapi.jpg

The hotspot would be your modem.

What wifi hotspot are you using?

Just a verizon iphone 5 mobile hotspot

Is your hotspot a wifi hotspot? If so you do not need a router or switch. If it is a wired connect via usb or through the weird card interface to a laptop you would have a hard time connecting it to the switch/router. if it hooks up with a network cable, yes. if it is wifi and you have a wifi dongle for your pi just use the debians preinstalled icon off the desktop called wifi config to log into it

So it is wireless. I can get the debians wifi config to recognize the network and it says "complete" but I can not get it to ping google. I click connect and it says "complete" but never "connected"

I really appreciate all of the help.

Take a screen shot of your LAN setup page on the pi please.

So it is wireless. I can get the debians wifi config to recognize the network and it says "complete" but I can not get it to ping google. I click connect and it says "complete" but never "connected"

I really appreciate all of the help.

There are two types of encryption ccmp and tkip. Try both

Take a screen shot of your LAN setup page on the pi please.

This work? I posted it earlier in this thread. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392938858.925008.jpg

Back