Initial fermentation temp way too high.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatman

Reaction score
2 days ago I brewed a batch of pale ale using Wyeast 1056. The place I usually ferment in is being worked on, so I have my carboy in the basement wrapped in a towel to keep any light out. What I didn't realize is that the towel insulated the carboy, so the heat from the fermentation caused the temp to rise almost to 80f according to the stick-on thermometer. I've put several ice packs against the carboy and will be moving it back to its usual spot soon.

Should I be concerned about this temperature spike? Is there anyway I can correct for any off flavors that might result? Advice is appreciated.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it now. You may notice some "fruitiness" but hopefully not any fusel alcohols (that "hot" alcohol burn) that create headaches.

Pretty much just let it ride and see how it turns out. 80 degrees is pretty hot, but if you're lucky it'll still be drinkable.

Hmm, I'm brewing this for a special occasion. I think I'll have to call this one a wash and brew another to be safe.

Thanks for the info.

Back