Initial care of rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhughes

Reaction score
I just got my rhizomes in this past Saturday (from thyme garden) and planted them that day. I dug out a hole then mixed the dirt I dug out 50/50 with some good potting mix which gave me a nice mound to plant them in. I then put about a 2 inch layer of cypress mulch on top to help keep in the moisture.

Just wondering how long it will be before the rhizomes send out their first shoots? They are cascade and centinnial and I am in North Carolina. Temps here are in the lower 80's this week.

Also, I've been watering them just a little each evening just to make sure they stay moist until they start sprouting. Does this sound about right or should I let them dry out a little before I water them each time?

Just water them once a day. Twice a day on extremely hot days. Never when the sun is high in the sky (you don't want to scorch the plants).

The day time temps don't really matter...it's more about night time temps. As long as the ground isn't frozen, then you should see shoots starting to pop up after a few weeks.

Rhizomes can be quite variable with some sprouting in a few days, and some may take a few weeks. Better to keep them a little dryer than wetter. Overwatering during establishment is probably the biggest mistake folks make. Once they're up and running they'll be able to use a little more water. Be patient.

I have to agree that you should not be watering them much. Stick your finger in to the soil about the depth you planted (to the side, don't poke the rhizome). If the soil feel dry down there water, if not let them be. Over watering is one of the few ways people manage to kill these weeds we call hops.

As for scorching, that's only a factor for water on above ground growth. What happens is water droplets act as lenses and focus the sun light to a point which burns the plant. You can water on the brightest day if you only soak the ground.

As for sprout time, if your soil is warm it should be quick, but it could take more than a month, so don't worry.

bhughes-
Sounds like you're on the right track with the soil mix. Keeping the soil moist is your best option. When you water the plant, you're only intersted in watering the soil/roots, not the plant above ground. The plant does better is it's greens stay dry.
During hot days, it may be beneficial to water more than twice as the you will find out that hops drink a lot of water....and I mean a lot especailly when they are growing more than 6 inches a day. You're on the right track and have fun with them.

I'm not concerned yet about the watering of the plant once it's sprouted, I'm just asking about the rhizome that I just planted. Just wondering if it should be kept constantly moist, sort of like you do for a seed to get it to germinate, or is it more like a plant that needs time between waterings so that it can breathe a little. My thought is that it needs more water initally until it has some sprouts and roots developed that can absorb water from the dirt around.

For the rhizomes you'll just want to keep the ground moist as mentioned, check it by sticking your finger down in the soil and see. My full grown hops don't get watered and have done fine. I'd probably water them if there was an unusual drought but generally they'll spread their roots enough to get what they need if you don't pamper them.

Back