Inhibiting P. Damnosus with a boiled hop addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodolarchie

Reaction score
I've gotten hold of a rabid pedio strain. I'm really happy with it, it sours to 3.7 at 3 weeks and 3.30 at four weeks, even with 6-10 IBUs present in the beer. No ropiness.

But it's military grade, it will keep going to 3.2 and below; it can make my starsan solution blush. So it has to be reigned in.

I'm thinking about boiling a fairly high alpha hop in a small amount of tap water, say for 15 minutes. The beer is a modern American hopped, oak aged saison, so this will likely be Galaxy and Mosaic. I've never tried this technique... only dry hopping to inhibit a much meeker lacto strain.

Before I try something stupid, any reason this wouldn't raise the alpha acid bitterness of the beer and inhibit the bacteria? Seems like the only other alternative is drastically lowering, or raising the temperature, which will also stymie the brett. The beer can handle the increased bitterness.

Back