Ingredients In Car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffmann808

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just joined the forum yesterday, and I am real excited to be able to use this new (to me) medium for my brewing questions. On batch number 6, so I am slowly but surely learning my way.

I searched for an existing topic on this question, but couldnt find it. Just bought the Austin Homebrew Pumpkin Ale kit, but had to come back to work. I for sure brought the yeast inside, but do I need to bring the whole (mini-mash) kit inside out of the heat? Its getting up around 80 today so with the windows cracked in my car maybe a slight bit warmer. Can anything else really get messed up being in my car?

Thanks!

Would I avoid the situation if possible? Yes. Are you going to notice a flavor difference? No way.

You'll be fine. Getting the yeast out of the heat if the most important thing. The ingredients will go bad early if you leave them in a warm place for a long time but if you get them into a cooler environment and use them soon, then no worries.

Oh and welcome to the forum! :mug:

Great, thats kind of what I was thinking. I get off in about 4 hours, will take them straight home to the AC, and then I am brewing tomorrow. Guy at AHB said pretty much the same thing, but wanted to make sure he wasnt implying that I needed to bring everything inside.

Agreed, you'll be fine. I usually keep my hops in the freezer and the rest of the ingredients in the fridge if it will be a few days until brew day. Especially after last winter when I lost three kits to a bunch of damn mice. Good luck with the brew!

They'll more than likely be safe if they're packaged correctly (UV protected, CO2 purged, vaccum sealed baggie). I don't know why my LHBS keeps the hops in a fridge, but I know there must be a good reason for it.

Seeing as the hops are from AHS, they are in the nice UV static bag and vacuum sealed. They will be fine in the car for four hours.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby. We are entering prime brewing weather here in Austin.

Thanks, ian. I've never ordered from there before, so didn't know how they package their hops. He'll be more than safe 4-5 hours.

Just something that I noticed the other week. My LHBS keeps the hops in the fridge for appearance (vac and UV sealed) but when you look in the back room there are shelves full of boxes and boxes of hops. I would assume most locations do this to keep up appearances only. FWIW

Definitely at least take the yeast and hops. On a hot day even with the windows cracked open, the temp can quickly climb above 100 degrees. And depending upon if the sun is directly on it, the color of the car and asphalt, etc, it can get up to 120-130. Your stuff might be fine, but personally I wouldn't chance it unless I had to.

Back