Ingredients but no recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbrown89

Reaction score
Hello All,I come to you with a bit of an odd situation. I ordered and received my first all grain recipe kit yesterday, finally moving up in the homebrew world. I also received someone else's shipment of ingredients, but not as a kit. I have the shipping order for them, complete with yeast, but I have no idea what beer they intended to brew. I'm open to ideas, and can post the ingredients if anyone would like.

Thanks,
Vince

You could also let them know you recieved someone else's order.....you know, karma and all. I'm sure they would tell you just to keep it though. But yeah we can definitely help you figure out a recipe.

^^^ That. Tell the shipper so they believe the guy who didn't get his shipment, and tell us the recipe so we can tell you what it is.

I did notify the shipper so the proper owner can get their replacement stuff, the shipper told me to keep the ingredients (lucky me). The material I received included:
11lbs of British Golden Promise grain
1 lb briess caramel 40
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb flaked oats
1 oz northern brewer hops pellets
1 oz fuggle hops pellets
1 oz cascade hops leaf
WYEAST scottish ale yeast

Thanks for the help

If they were planning to use all the ingredients the full lb of chocolate seems to be tipping it into porter territory. The cascade seems a little out of place wonder if that was for something else. You could brew as is for a dark brown ale/porter, or add 0.5 lb of roasted barley making it more of an oatmeal stout. With either of those I'd probably do the norther brewer at 60 and fuggles at 10, leaving the cascade for something else.

That is definitely a stout or porter. Toss all the grain in. Mash at 154ish. Do a hop schedule like this:
- @60min - 1oz Northern Brewer
- @15min - 1oz cascade
- @0min - 1oz fuggle

You could swap the fuggle and cascade depending on what you want. Or save the cascade for somethign hoppier

What if I just went with a half pound of the chocolate, and dry hopped the cascades in secondary? I'm just throwing this out there, I'm only 2 years into this and have only done extract with one partial mash recipe. I certainly appreciate the assistance.

What if I just went with a half pound of the chocolate, and dry hopped the cascades in secondary? I'm just throwing this out there, I'm only 2 years into this and have only done extract with one partial mash recipe. I certainly appreciate the assistance.

I think that would make a fine brown ale, I say go for it!
(personally I would just dry hop at end of primary but I won't get into that debate ;))

Edit: quickly plugging into a calculator and having to guess at AA% , for 5.5 gal post boil and 75% efficiency looks like 1.067, 20 SRM, and about 35 IBU if you do the NB at 60 and the fuggles at 15. A little higher gravity brown if you get that kind of efficiency but should be good!

I finally brewed this, did the full grain bill with half the chocolate, the NB at 60 and fuggles at 20, saved the cascade. I did a 154 mash for 60, tipped a little into 155 at the beginning. about a 75 min boil after the protein break. Cooled to 70 and pitched the yeast. In all my excitement, and the thunderstorm that decided to intrude on my brew day outside, I forgot to pull an OG. Oh well, it was free, and hopefully drinkable!

I'll keep you posted when I tap it. Thanks for all the help and insight.

I did notify the shipper so the proper owner can get their replacement stuff, the shipper told me to keep the ingredients (lucky me). The material I received included:
11lbs of British Golden Promise grain
1 lb briess caramel 40
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb flaked oats
1 oz northern brewer hops pellets
1 oz fuggle hops pellets
1 oz cascade hops leaf
WYEAST scottish ale yeast

Thanks for the help

I find this really interesting. Wish it would have happened to me. Now I want to do an experiment where we get some brewers together all get the same ingredients. Dont have to use it all but cant add anything else to it. See how different each recipe would be.

I was going to guess it would brew up a nice Northern Brown ale until I saw the yeast. Maybe its a Southern Scots ale invading Northern England? Kinda like William Wallace did.

I was going to guess it would brew up a nice Northern Brown ale until I saw the yeast. Maybe its a Southern Scots ale invading Northern England? Kinda like William Wallace did.

Sounds like OP has a name for the beer now!

Latest posts

Back