Infusing fruit with Double IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
I got a double ipa for xmas. Not much of an IPA guy to begin with, but figured i would give it a shot. Any ideas?

Maybe something citrus to accentuate a citrus hop schedule? I've had mango and tangerine IPAs before that were good, never brewed one though.

Yeah because i was thinking along the lines of maybe a pinepple one.

If you prefer lightly hopped beers, you could increase the size of the batch ferment half with the yeast you have and half with a different yeast. IMO, IPAs should be about the hops, not adding fruit. Also, you can make the same beer but cut back on the hops and use them for a second beer.

If you prefer lightly hopped beers, you could increase the size of the batch ferment half with the yeast you have and half with a different yeast. IMO, IPAs should be about the hops, not adding fruit. Also, you can make the same beer but cut back on the hops and use them for a second beer.

Yeah, it seems to me the whole "point" of an IPA is for the hops to shine. Any other major flavor is going to compete with your hops. If you do add fruit, keep it subtle. Alternatively, make it a blonde or pale ale. Fruit and hops just seem like two things that are great on their own but shouldn't really be mixed.

I was thinking a little more on this... Just because you received a IIPA kit doesn't mean you have to brew a IIPA. Cut back on the malts and hops and make a balanced pale ale. Use the leftover ingredients in a future beer...it's not like you're never gonna brew again! Problem solved!! You could always boost the hops a little and find your threshold, even still add a bit of fruit to accentuate the citrus aspects.

Back