Infections that aren't visible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
Are there any bacteria or fungal infections that don't produce any visible signs?

I'm just wondering what the f*** this god awful taste is in my RIS, and whether it may clear out with age, or get worse.

There is no sign of contamination, the beer is quite clear and 'good looking'.

I added cacoa nibs and coffee to secondary, but they were unsanitized and the cacoa nibs were not roasted (I will roast them, soak them in vodka next time - already made a thread about that).

Sure there are infections that will not impart any visual changes from a normal fermentation. The yeast we use was once wild, just like the stuff we don't want (although many millions of generations have passed).

Can you describe the off flavor?

Sure there are infections that will not impart any visual changes from a normal fermentation. The yeast we use was once wild, just like the stuff we don't want (although many millions of generations have passed).

Can you describe the off flavor?

I've been trying. It's hard to describe. I'll take a sip and attempt to describe it.

It's woody, a bit sour, chocolaty, ugh.

No, I think I have to dump it. Its unpalatable.

It tastes almost like poop, literal ****.

OK. Lots of assumptions here.

What's your recipe?

What was your fermentation like (yeast strain, pitching rate, temperature)?

How old is the beer?

An RIS will go through some severe changes over time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the high horse attitude of "Never dump beer!", as I've dumped plenty of batches I knew were mistakes, but this one might be an exception due to the style.

OK. Lots of assumptions here.

What's your recipe?

What was your fermentation like (yeast strain, pitching rate, temperature)?

How old is the beer?

An RIS will go through some severe changes over time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the high horse attitude of "Never dump beer!", as I've dumped plenty of batches I knew were mistakes, but this one might be an exception due to the style.

The recipe is fine, someone else made it.

I added cacao nibs and coffee beans straight to secondary (did not sanitize them, i.e. in vodka) so this is likely the culprit. OR it is simply that cacao nibs unroasted taste like S H I T

If the nibs weren't toasted that could be an off flavor from the cocoa butter in the nibs maybe

I lost a few batches due to some wild yeast or bacteria taking up residence in my equipment. No pellicle or anything aside from normal krausen, but the taste was acrid and sour and like I was chewing on a piece of antique furniture. You can either bomb your equipment with caustic or bleach or just replace your plastic stuff.

I lost a few batches due to some wild yeast or bacteria taking up residence in my equipment. No pellicle or anything aside from normal krausen, but the taste was acrid and sour and like I was chewing on a piece of antique furniture. You can either bomb your equipment with caustic or bleach or just replace your plastic stuff.

damnit.

Latest posts

Back