Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beergump

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
poqrpMFmj
pnNud88Fj

First time brewer here! Tried to look this up online, but I’m still not sure. Is this the start of an infection, or are those just CO2 bubbles? There is no skin.

It’s an IPA; extract w/ steeping grains; today is 3 weeks in primary: was planning to dry hop in a few days; SG was around 1.018-1.019 as of Friday; used US05 yeast. Wasn’t sure what info was needed!

how'd you check that? and it looks like some straglers finishing up...
It's not unusual for extract beers to finish at higher FGs (near 1.020) so not likely to be a measurement problem (i.e. not the high FG due to reading with a refractometer and not doing correction calculations problem.)

Brew on :mug:

It's not unusual for extract beers to finish at higher FGs (near 1.020) so not likely to be a measurement problem (i.e. not the high FG due to reading with a refractometer and not doing correction calculations problem.)

Brew on :mug:

i just thought i'd check, usually when my gluco beers look like that, they're at around 1.002-3, and drop down in a couple days to the final destination of 1.000-.999

now i have to ask....what is the fermentation vessel? you got a top shot that looks like a white plastic bucket, and a side shot the looks like a glass carboy? (just for curiosity's sake... :mug:)

i just thought i'd check, usually when my gluco beers look like that, they're at around 1.002-3, and drop down in a couple days to the final destination of 1.000-.999

now i have to ask....what is the fermentation vessel? you got a top shot that looks like a white plastic bucket, and a side shot the looks like a glass carboy? (just for curiosity's sake... :mug:)
It’s a 6.5g glass carboy. What you might see on the first pic is masking tape on the outside marking 5 gallons.

Last edited:
What they said.^

You can dry hop it any time now. Just plan when you want to bottle it. Dry hop 3-5 days ahead of that. According to most recent research 3 days is plenty, but 5 days won't hurt if you need extra time for the hops (and the yeast) to precipitate.

I would drop the dry hops in that same carboy, no transfer to a secondary. If they remain afloat after a few hours, give it a light stir, using the back end of a long plastic brewing spoon or such.

What they said.^

You can dry hop it any time now. Just plan when you want to bottle it. Dry hop 3-5 days ahead of that. According to most recent research 3 days is plenty, but 5 days won't hurt if you need extra time for the hops (and the yeast) to precipitate.

I would drop the dry hops in that same carboy, no transfer to a secondary. If they remain afloat after a few hours, give it a light stir, using the back end of a long plastic brewing spoon or such.
Thanks. Yeah, I’m planning to drop them in on Tuesday or Wednesday because I won’t be able to bottle until next weekend.

Back