Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdinsPanzer

Reaction score
Morning,

I'm a complete beginner and half way through my first batch, I went to dry hop at the weekend and like a spanner, opened the bag of hops which exploded and went all over the floor so in the bin they went and I'm waiting for more to come today 'hopefully'. I checked on the beer today and there's loads of tiny bubbles on the top, kind of like a half drunk pint that's flattened out (in secondary) that weren't there yesterday, I've tasted it and it seems OK, if not a little alcohol strong (that's the best way I can describe it) and there's no oily slick on top or anything. Is this just co2 escaping as it's been sat there for 5 days doing nothing or could it be the start or signs of an infection? If so, what should I look for to confirm it? I do t wa t to add my hops if it's pointless.
Its the mangrove Jack's juicy ipa kit with LME and I've tried to keep everything as clean/sanitised as possible.

I know you all probably get asked all manner of questions from panicking noobie but any advice would be great.

From what you describe, I don't think there is a problem. But it is hard to say without a picture.

I would just leave it alone. Don't open the fermenter more that you have to, you will introduce oxygen every time you do.

Clusters of tiny bubbles are most likely just the CO2 coming out of the beer and they can carry some yeast to the surface. If this is in your primary an infection would be really rare unless you opened the fermenter and left it open. if you moved the beer to secondary you do have a chance of infection as you would have lost the CO2 that filled the top space of the fermenter and introduced oxygen and some bacteria that came in with that air. Those kind of infections usually take several days to show up as it takes time for the bacteria to propagate into enough numbers to show.

I got a little scared the first time I saw those little bubbles. As you gain experience you will learn what is normal and what is not. By description probably no problem.

Back