Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
Here's the story...brewed an Oktoberfest yesterday. For various reasons, I put the wort in a sealed Speidel fermenter at room temperature over night (mostly because I was brewing a doppelbock today and wanted to get both in the fermentation chamber at the same time). I happened to notice the O-fest fermenter was wobbling. I looked again and found that there was significant build up of gas in the fermenter. I opened to let the gas out and it looks like there is a bit of krausen.

Am I screwed?

Prob wild yeast. Hard to say you're screwed without knowing a bit more about your sanitation process. If you consider this batch spoiled, then you can try and out run the yeast by over pitching and hope the intended yeast out ferments the wild yeast. Give it a go unless you have ingredients at the ready ;)

Prob wild yeast. Hard to say you're screwed without knowing a bit more about your sanitation process. If you consider this batch spoiled, then you can try and out run the yeast by over pitching and hope the intended yeast out ferments the wild yeast. Give it a go unless you have ingredients at the ready ;)

Should I pitch the yeast at 80 degrees and let it go for 24 hours, then get it down to proper fermentation temp?

80? Why 80? What yeast are you pitching?

WYeast 2206.

Because I live in Phoenix, and my house is 80 degrees--so the now-fermenting-with-wild-yeast wort is 80 degrees (probably higher), my starter is 80 degrees, etc. I hadn't had a chance to put the fermenter into my freezer to bring the temp down to proper pitching temps.

Anyways, I had made a bigger starter than I needed, so I just pitched the entire thing into the wort. I've now put it in the freezer to bring it down to lager fermentation temps. I figure that I can pull a sample in 5 days, and I'll know whether I need to dump the batch or not.

WYeast 2206.

Because I live in Phoenix, and my house is 80 degrees--so the now-fermenting-with-wild-yeast wort is 80 degrees (probably higher), my starter is 80 degrees, etc. I hadn't had a chance to put the fermenter into my freezer to bring the temp down to proper pitching temps.

Anyways, I had made a bigger starter than I needed, so I just pitched the entire thing into the wort. I've now put it in the freezer to bring it down to lager fermentation temps. I figure that I can pull a sample in 5 days, and I'll know whether I need to dump the batch or not.

Nah just wait 2 weeks, maybe 3. Let the air lock tell you when its done.

Back