infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know its hard to tell by looking at a photo, but could this possibly be an infection? Raspberry ale in secondary just over two weeks.

ForumRunner_20130217_164857.jpg

Yup, looks like lactobacillus to me.
I intentionally make beers with this bacteria added. It gives a great funky sour quality. Let it age a couple months and see if you like how it taste.

+1 Lacto is VERY common in all fresh fruit, as is wild yeast. It's almost a requirement for fresh fruit to have lacto in it's skin to be healthy.

Did you do anything to sanatize the berries?

You really needed to smash those berries up and boil them for about 5 minutes to kill off all of the bugs that naturally live in them.

The good news is that it looks like it is a pretty young infection, so it likely hasn't really affected the beer much. Even if it has, people like me pay good money for beers soured with lacto.

Speed this thing through your process and get it carbed and cooled as quickly as possible if you want to slow down the infection. Even if it's a little tart/acidic to your tastes, you could always blend it with another batch.

If you like sour beers, move this thing to another secondary off the raspberries when that fermentation is done, and let it sit at room temp with the lacto infection for about 6-8 months to create a delectable sour that you can either drink straight, or again, blend with something younger.

Good luck!

Back