Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I went to bottle mild brown today this is is what I saw when I opened the ale pail.

It's pretty much a white film covering the beer and bubbles. Sadly I think it is.

image-3813039459.jpg

Ok, thanks.. I will dump the bucket as well as the beer. oh well :(

Must have happened when I opened it it check a gravity reading two weeks ago - bc it was clear until then.

scottvin said:
Ok, thanks.. I will dump the bucket as well as the beer. oh well :(

Must have happened when I opened it it check a gravity reading two weeks ago - bc it was clear until then.

Not necessarily, sometimes infections take a bit to grab hold, go back to your original brew day and evaluate your sanitation and cleaning process as well as what you used to clean and sanitize. Also your gravity checking process.

Sorry about the lost batch!

passedpawn said:
Yes, it's infected.

Dump, or wait it out and see if you like the result. I think bubbles/film are bacteria (lacto or pedio), and that means sour.

It's definitely infected, but not necessarily Lacto or Pedio. Brettanomyces and other wild yeast will also form a pellicle.

Note: all may not be lost. Depends on your taste for sour/funky beers. Some beers are made by intentionally adding bacteria and/or Brett. If you have the patience and the desire, leave it alone for a while and see how things develop. You're going to need another bucket anyway, so you might as well just stick this batch in a dark corner of the basement and come back to it in a few months.

I'm with JLem. Place it in a corner and leave it alone for a few months. I have a number of beers that intentionally look like that. I can't tell you what it is, but since you have alcohol in the beer, it will not kill you, and is probably one of the wild 'bugs' used in brewing; Brett yeast, lacto, or pedio. All 3 take a while to develop, and work slowly in the beer. The pellicle is just a covering to protect the beer from too much oxygen. You might have a tasty beer there.

You don't have to toss the bucket either. When empty, fill it with a mild bleach solution (Fill with water and about a tablespoon of bleach per gallon) and leave it for a week. Should kill of anything you have in there.

It's definitely infected, but not necessarily Lacto or Pedio. Brettanomyces and other wild yeast will also form a pellicle.

Note: all may not be lost. Depends on your taste for sour/funky beers. Some beers are made by intentionally adding bacteria and/or Brett. If you have the patience and the desire, leave it alone for a while and see how things develop. You're going to need another bucket anyway, so you might as well just stick this batch in a dark corner of the basement and come back to it in a few months.

I think brett gets hairy. I had a brett infection recently (semi-verified under a scope) and it looked like this:

2012-05-06_at_14_38_04.jpg

I've got a pellicle just like the OP's on a oud bruin right now. Roeslare, which has all sorts of stuff, but I still am guessing it's bacterial. I could be wrong, but guessing is fun.

passedpawn said:
I think brett gets hairy. I had a brett infection recently (semi-verified under a scope) and it looked like this:

I've got a pellicle just like the OP's on a oud bruin right now. Roeslare, which has all sorts of stuff, but I still am guessing it's bacterial. I could be wrong, but guessing is fun.

I agree guessing is fun...I wasn't saying it was Brett for sure, just that it couldn't necessarily be ruled out. It would be tough though for Lacto to get a hold depending on the amount of hops used. Not sure about Pedio.

Regardless, I say let it ride.

That sucks man... Might not be a bad idea to toss that bucket out and start with a new one, besides ale pails are way cheaper the a whole lost batch of beer.

2012-05-06_at_14_38_04.jpg

This is what I just had. Was fine in primary and when I moved it to secondary popped up after 3 days. I'm pretty well on the cleaning; sanitizing part so the only thing I could figure is oxidizing because of 3-4 inches head space in the pail. You all think an infection can start from oxidizing? I just bottled it today-tasted great- and put it in plastic bins for a few weeks. Question I have is whats your opinions on how long it might take to get bottle bombs if I do. Should I be safe after a few weeks?

This is what I just had. Was fine in primary and when I moved it to secondary popped up after 3 days. I'm pretty well on the cleaning; sanitizing part so the only thing I could figure is oxidizing because of 3-4 inches head space in the pail. You all think an infection can start from oxidizing? I just bottled it today-tasted great- and put it in plastic bins for a few weeks. Question I have is whats your opinions on how long it might take to get bottle bombs if I do. Should I be safe after a few weeks?

Well, yes. The contact with the air is what is responsible for the infection.

But, technically, it's not "oxidizing", it's simply having a little oxygen which lets infections take hold. "Oxidizing" would mean oxygen interacting with the beer, and causing oxidative effects. This is an infection.

Most infections need oxygen and that's why headspace in a carboy (after primary has ended) is bad and why "secondary" in a bucket is a bad idea. You don't see infections in a topped up carboy usually.

I do not like brett beers or sours. But if you do, it's worth a try to see how it comes out in the future.

Well, yes. The contact with the air is what is responsible for the infection.

But, technically, it's not "oxidizing", it's simply having a little oxygen which lets infections take hold. "Oxidizing" would mean oxygen interacting with the beer, and causing oxidative effects. This is an infection.

Most infections need oxygen and that's why headspace in a carboy (after primary has ended) is bad and why "secondary" in a bucket is a bad idea. You don't see infections in a topped up carboy usually.

I do not like brett beers or sours. But if you do, it's worth a try to see how it comes out in the future.
So are saying let the bottles ride for a while? Or if I'm not into sour drink em up after there carbed? What do think about the bottle bomb issue and length of time before they might happen?

So are saying let the bottles ride for a while? Or if I'm not into sour drink em up after there carbed? What do think about the bottle bomb issue and length of time before they might happen?

Sorry, no clue! If the infection "eats" the alcohol (like acetobacter), or "eats" some of the normally unfermentable sugars, there will be bottle bombs. But when, if, how- I have no idea.

kerant said:

What was the gravity when you bottled?

kerant said:

That's actually pretty low. You might be okay, depending on the infection. Just keep an eye on things and watch where the carbonation level is. And it's probably a good idea to keep them stored in a plastic rubbernaid tote just to be safe.

I kind of hope for this kind of thing lately... As long as its not something real hoppy. A guy brought in some infected (such a negative word) beer to the brew club meeting a few months ago and it was delicious. His neighbor gave it to him before dumping it.

Latest posts

Back