Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatsMcBrew

Reaction score
I brewed an amber ale on Jan17 racked to a carboy on Jan31. As of a couple of weeks ago. (end of Feb) it looked fine. I uncovered it today to bottle it, and found this.
29942440021_large.jpg

29942440022_large.jpg

It smells pretty good, maybe a little sour. I'm bottling it regardless, but I'd like to know what this is, and why it would show up after so long?

Looks like an infection. I wouldn't bottle that unless you're sure the gravity isn't going down. Some infections can basically turn your beer into vinegar and you WILL have bottle bombs. Anytime you rack your beer, you risk introducing infection into it. If you didn't sanitize your carboy properly, or if there was too much headspace it could cause an infection. I'm not saying you did any of these, but infections are very hard to narrow down. It could come from just about anything.

It's definitely done fermenting. I could have bottled weeks ago I've just been busy. I'm just going to rack out from underneath it, and hope for the best.
sigh...

Back