Infection - What to replace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMattTrain

Reaction score
I posted a few days ago on the recipe board about a batch I suspect is infected. You can read the description here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/harvest-ale-sourness-505512/

I've already ordered replacement hoses, siphon, disconnect, thief, and picnic tap. I am thinking I should probably replace all of the o-rings in my keg too, correct? Is there anything else I should replace so I don't risk infecting future batches?

So it doesn't sound convincing that the beer actually got infected. However, to answer your question if you want to be really safe you should replace anything rubber or plastic that touched the beer or keg post boil. That would be hoses, racking cane, ball locks for gas and liquid. C02 hoses as well.

I use glass carboys for primary and secondary, so I think I'm safe there.

I didn't even think about gas post. I'll have to pick up another one of those, I guess. I'm not convinced that my beer is infected either, but I don't really know what's causing all of the off flavors. I still haven't dumped it, hoping it will age out or something. I opened the keg the other day to check if there was anything floating on the surface, but there wasn't.

I'm mostly replacing stuff because I don't want to lose either of the batches I've got right now... they're both $50+

Back