Infection what now???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I added coconut-cocoa nibs to my primary, soaked in vodka for a weeks to sterilize.
The gravity was 1.018, which I thought was done at the time.
When I just opened and racked the FG was 1.012
And there was on oil slick floating on top and what looks like a cross between krausen and infection.

I had soaked the coconut-nibs in vodka with a bit of rum (ran out of vodka).

Since it is clear that fermentation ramped up, I am hoping it is krausen and not infection from the coconut oil

I tried to rack below the oil slick.
And now in secondary there are a few bubbles.
Not sure if it is infection or gas?
Do I still bottle?
Bottle below the floaters at top?
Wait?

IMG_1652.jpg
IMG_1653.jpg
IMG_1651.jpg
IMG_1511718843.633085.jpg

Also going to guess that this Yeast is not worth saving ?

Last edited:
I left the beer sit in a carboy for an hour and now I am thinking it is an infection.
On top of the coconut oil slick is 2 small bubbles.
IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg
IMG_1655.jpg

I am going to try and rack the 5 gallons down to 3 and bottle.
I hope this will enable me to salvage some of the beer without loosing all of it.

Guess I won’t be giving this batch out for gifts this year!

I racked down under the oily layer to 3 gallons and bottled.
Tastes fine.
We will see how it works out.
Thanks for the help!

I'm guessing its oil from the coconut.Did you toast it at all?I used shredded coconut, i toasted it and set it on paper towels. when i took it off i was able to wring grease out.

I'm guessing its oil from the coconut.Did you toast it at all?I used shredded coconut, i toasted it and set it on paper towels. when i took it off i was able to wring grease out.

I toasted, but the layer underneath did not toast.
I also did not wring out oil, just put in a bag and soaked in vodka for a week, put in beer.

I've had a couple of impressive infections over the years. Just bottled in PET bottles and drank. They were some damn good beer.

Looks like it might turn out great, be sure to update this thread after the bottles have conditioned for a few weeks so we can follow along.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with coconut when I get a little bit more experienced.

Back