Infection or Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle my Roggenbier and i notice that there is a slight white film over the top of the beer. For this batch I used White Labs Hefewizen IV yeast, which i have never used before.
So my question, is this white film from the yeast, or, my fear, a possible infection?
Just a side note, the film has not gotten any worse, or better for that matter, in the past three days. It is not completely covering the top, and there does not seem to be any foul odors.

So... Thoughts?

really hard to tell w/o a picture. is the fermentation done? was there a krausen that fell?

really hard to tell w/o a picture. is the fermentation done? was there a krausen that fell?

Yes, on Wednesday it will be 2 weeks since the start of the brew. The krausen has fallen. I checked it on Friday or Saturday and there was still some unsettled foam from fermentation after a week and a couple of days since the start, but it appears that there is no more krausen, just this film. I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow if I can find my camera.

It tastes good, but it sure did look like an infection when I looked at it. I went ahead and bottled it. Hopefully the finished carbonated product tastes just as good as my hydrometer sample did. It'll be off the hook with a little lemon squeezed in!

i've never used that yeast before, but have had a sort of secondary krausen that refuses to go away a few times. i've just racked underneath it and the beers seem fine. if the hydro sample tasted good, i'm sure it'll be alright.

Back