Infection or normal fermintation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsEggy

Reaction score
So yesterday we started a batch of hard cider. Got the yeast in and put it in a dark place to ferment. Unlike our porter the yeast hasn't done so much. There is a thick layer or foam/gel on top. And laying on top of the yeast seems to be something white. I thought with an infection it wouldn't show for a few days. We're not even 24 hours in and it doesn't look right. Obviously, this is my first batch. So I'm very new. I don't know a lot.
Attached is a few pics (probably not the best pics) but can anyone tell me if it looks normal?

image-3071292630.jpg

image-4053859937.jpg

No ideas on normality of brew? It's very centered and not off colored, just a consistent white.

It looks fine to me, probably just foam.

You've got way too much headspace, though. Headspace should start just a bit below your top ring i.e. you should have used about 1 gallon more juice. That will give you enough headspace even for an ale yeast. It's still not too late to top up.

Back