Infection from sample tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
i've recentely had two infected batches and i'm getting my self stressed out trying to pin down the problem. I think i might have skipped my cleaning step on the infected batches and just sanitized with iodine solution. But I've got my self wondering if it could be something else.

I use plastic buckets and my fermentors have taps near the bottom that i regularly take samples from during fermentation. i have done this on every brew (about 9 or 10) and only two are infected. But i'm still worried this might be a bit risky and a route to infection. I bet there are alot of nasty wild yeasties living on the wort residue on the outside of the tap.

Anybody got any advice or experiance with this? How many people do the same as me and take regular samples?

do you take these taps apart and clean them after every use? that could easily be the cause if you answer 'no'.

I do. I was wondering in microbes could kind of 'swim up stream' when taking samples. I'm probably being paranoid but i wanted to check.

Every time I take a sample from either the spigot on my buckets or the racking arm on my conical I flush it thoroughly with water and then Starsan. I've been using buckets with spigots since I started brewing in 1993 and never had an infected batch of beer.
There should be no wort residue outside of the tap, or the bucket for that matter. But if it worries you just spray thoroughly with Starsan or iodophor before and after you take your sample.

How old are the buckets? it might be time to retire them. the plastic can get microscopic scratches that can harbor spoilage microbes.

here is a test for you to do next time you brew.
Get a new bucket. Transfer your wort to the new bucket and a sanitized mason jar or other sanitized vessel. Pitch yeast as normal in to the new bucket, but don't pitch any thing into the saved wort in the sanitized container. cover the container with sanitized foil. place this near where you are fermenting. If it takes up to a week for the un-pitched wort to start to ferment, your problem was your old bucket. If it takes less than a week you have a problem between the the boil kettle and the fermenter.

How old are the buckets? it might be time to retire them. the plastic can get microscopic scratches that can harbor spoilage microbes.
The "old bucket" argument gets old. My new buckets have been in use for 10 or 12 years, my old buckets 18 years. If they have microscopic scratches nothing that gets into those scratches is protected from a decent sanitizer like Starsan. Most of the bad reputation buckets get is from people who never used them. You may or may not have used them, maybe you had some bad experiences with them but most bucket brewers I know wouldn't trade them for free glass carboys.

Yes I use buckets, glass and stainless. The only bad experences I have had are with reusing bottles too many times. I've never had a problem with my buckets as well, but I only wash them with a soft sponge and sanitize them with star-san. I have never tested is microscopic scratches can harbor microbes, I'm just referencing what I read in how to brew and the joy of home brewing. sorry if I got your panties in a bunch.

but more to the point, If you read my post, you would have noticed I was giving him a protocol on how to test if his problem is coming form the fermenter or if its a problem up stream.There are lots of places contaminants can get in to the brewing process, and it can be difficult to trouble shoot. Personally it is a test I do with all my beers, and is help full to confirm good sanitation practices.

Yes I use buckets, glass and stainless. The only bad experences I have had are with reusing bottles too many times. I've never had a problem with my buckets as well, but I only wash them with a soft sponge and sanitize them with star-san. I have never tested is microscopic scratches can harbor microbes, I'm just referencing what I read in how to brew and the joy of home brewing. sorry if I got your panties in a bunch.

but more to the point, If you read my post, you would have noticed I was giving him a protocol on how to test if his problem is coming form the fermenter or if its a problem up stream.There are lots of places contaminants can get in to the brewing process, and it can be difficult to trouble shoot. Personally it is a test I do with all my beers, and is help full to confirm good sanitation practices.
I did read that and it's an interesting test. I'll try to keep it in mind when I need it.
I use well bleached old white cotton socks if I need to wipe my buckets clean. Usually an overnight soak in PBW and they're spotless-rinse with hot water and call it good.
I get a little annoyed with people who've brewed 3 batches in carboys that feel entitled or obligated to lecture everybody about the dangers of buckets, even though they've never used one. You sir are not one of those guys and I apologize.:mug:

just sumerise. It shouldn't be a problem but you can try and sanitise the tap after taking a sample. Is this correct?

I don't buy the scratched bucket stuff either.

ALL buckets already have scratches when you buy them. Hell I went to the biggest LHBS store in the southeast (they supply many famous breweries) and ALL of the hundreds of buckets they had already had large rough flaps that stuck out 1mm or so. These were brand new buckets from TrueBrew and they came more scratched than they would ever become during use.

bob3000.. I had a similar thought running thru my mind. Probably cuz I'm so new at this. I've taken a few samples from my FV via the valve at the bottom.. I kept thinking I will have some leftover wort in the outlet. What happens when I turn the valve? Is there ANY chance some of the dried wort, which is at least a few days old, might contaminate the guts of the valve thereby being a possible contamination source when I drain into the bottles.

I DO squirt Star-San into the opening each time I take a sample.. but, I'm thinking before I actually start to use the valve for bottling.. I'm going to take an ear swab, dip it into Star-San and swab out the outlet while the hose and bottle filler are sanitizing. Then as a final.. spray the opening before inserting the filler device.

I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill.. but, better safe than sorry.. :)

Back