Infection Free Streak Comes To An End....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drudini11

Reaction score
so was getting ready to bottle my Belgian Pale this morning (has been in secondary for few weeks covered by blanket) and believe this batch has gone bad. Lots of little white foamy islands floating on top. Been long time since I've had an infected batch figured I'd post a pic to verify this isn't something else but pretty sure these are nasties that have taken over.

photo(1).jpg

Ummm I'm going to go out on a limb and agree that it is an infection. Obviously it sounds like you know what to do; taste/smell etc. That looks like a glass carboy, yes? If so, obviously easy to clean and move on but if it were a PET bottle, I would probably keep it for a future sour or something out of simple paranoia.

It does look like infection when all the dots are connected by thin surface film. Time to sit down and think about each step in your process and each peice of equuipment used to figure out where the infection may have come from.

My process would be to look at/walk through each step/each piece of equipment post boil to remember what was different with this batch.

Could be a simple as laying a stirring spoon down on an unsanitized surface and reusing it.

so was getting ready to bottle my Belgian Pale this morning (has been in secondary for few weeks covered by blanket) and believe this batch has gone bad. Lots of little white foamy islands floating on top. Been long time since I've had an infected batch figured I'd post a pic to verify this isn't something else but pretty sure these are nasties that have taken over.

Looks like yeast to me.

I didn't taste but it did smell a bit off and opted not to take any chances and dumped the batch. I am usually pretty good with sanitation and have gone more then 20 batches without any issues. One thing curious about though.......didn't notice any issues with the batch in primary.....fermentation was strong, had good krausen and not signs of infection........does that mean infection was introduced during the transfer to secondary or could it have been in primary and just didn't notice any signs?

It's hard to tell with the light glaring on the carboy, but I'm leaning more towards yeast/CO2.

I know this is irrelevant now that you've dumped it... I'm seriously wondering if it wasn't actually infected.

Why dump a batch prematurely? With it, you also dumped the opportunity to learn something or at least keep us entertained. :confused:

PS: I'm a scientist at heart.

I didn't taste but it did smell a bit off and opted not to take any chances and dumped the batch. I am usually pretty good with sanitation and have gone more then 20 batches without any issues. One thing curious about though.......didn't notice any issues with the batch in primary.....fermentation was strong, had good krausen and not signs of infection........does that mean infection was introduced during the transfer to secondary or could it have been in primary and just didn't notice any signs?
Still say it wasn't infected. As someone else stated yeast and co2. As for the smell all you where smelling was co2 escaping. What a waste.....

Nothing that can hurt you can survive in beer. You should always taste what seems like it might be an infected batch. It might be the best beer you ever made.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back