Infection Finally Hit me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josers

Reaction score
Yeah finally got a little what looks like "brett" on the top of my vanilla smoked porter. I will probably dumping it. Some questions about dumping the batch, should I use the siphon or just pour it straight from carboy down the sink. Discard air lock? Also to clean the carboy after should I use my regular brush or something else. I'm trying to minimize my eqiupment that comes in contact with the infection. I think what happen is some of the water in the airlock evaporated leaving an airflow inside. Man I'm bummed!!!

I wouldn't dump it, if it truly is infected, I'd maybe dump some cherries or something in it and see what develops. You might have a great funky beer in a year.

Bad picture but has the white characteristics of brett. I have search around for other pictures of brett and pretty confident that's what I have here.
photovm.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

As someone who had "infections" before and as someone Revvy reassured it was good - Dont throw away your beer. Taste, package it, let it sit.

What I've learned from my infections is that you can taste / smell it early on. You should be able to detect off flavors early on and discard accordingly. In my cases the infections I traced to bad yeast. One batch was bad Nottingham yeast which didnt start for 5 days and finished below FG it still had off flavors. Another batch I used harvested yeast which was old and was not all kosher sanitary wise. Other "infections" were newbie impulse judgments.

That picture looks like its only a few days into fermentation,is it?

Another vote for taste, smell, check it out well before dumping it.

In answer to another of your questions, if you do decide to dump it I would not let it touch ANY of your other equipment. Dump it straight out of the carboy.

Back