Infection Epidemic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBreweryUnderground

Reaction score
Since the end of the summer when I moved into my new apartment I have had an infection epidemic that started in one bucket of mine that was fermenting a two hearted clone and has somehow now spread to all 5 buckets that I have. These are all 6.5 gallon buckets, one Ale Pail, three morebeer buckets, and one generic bucket I just bought for this last beer where I pitched US-05 new (I normally reuse my yeast when it's not infected). I've started a lambic in one of the buckets to try and make the best of the situation.

This last bucket is driving me crazy because it was properly sanitized and then immediately infected after the first batch when I have been using the same method the past two years. Also just waisted a half pound of Simcoe/Chinook on the batch. The only time I opened the bucket was to dry hop and then just now before bottling to see that the same infection as the other buckets is just getting started.

On top of this the 12 gallons of cider I have fermenting with notty all smell like rotten eggs/sulphur, I broke a cheap picnic tap, and the gas post on one of my kegs is leaking and I can't seem to fix it. So I guess I'm not brewing this weekend, or maybe for a while. The the clouds opened up and the homebrew gods said to me, "I hate you."

That's some sad stuff there.

Get up early and go at that stuff with straight bleach. Just commit 2 hours to bleaching the crap out of everything. Throw away any soft vinyl tubing. Do it. Sherman Through the South style.

Bleach Blitzkrieg, baby. Go Thermonuclear on its ass. Wham.

Don't give up on the cider though. That stuff can smell pretty damned bad while fermenting. Though, I've given up on Notty after a bad experience with it.

Latest posts

Back