Infection Elimination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Trying to get rid of a wierd after taste with my latest brews. Best way I can describe it is the taste you get if you chew on the shells of shrimp. Someone has noted to me that this may be a flavor associated with an infection. I am pretty thorough in my brew day sanitation so I'm thinking it may be an infection coming from fermentation equipment, or maybe siphoning.

1. I currently use a copper immersion chiller. I usually drop it in the boil for the last 10-15 minutes. The copper has a dull coating on it, but I was told that was normal. Is this true? Is there a good way to get it cleaned and shony to start over?

2. I'm going to replace my siphoning tubing, but is there something other than starsan I should use to disinfect my siphon/racking cane?

3. What about my carboy? I use a glass primary and plastic secondary. Typically I clean with a oxyclean solution and then starsan for about 30 minutes. I've read that there are infections which may linger. What's a good method for cleaning these to get a possible infection out?

4. Finally, please confirm that an infection would pretty much have to initiate after the boil, right? I shouldn't have to worry about sanitizing my stirring paddle during the boil, right?

Thanks, for helping me thru this frustration.

Guidry said:
Trying to get rid of a wierd after taste with my latest brews. Best way I can describe it is the taste you get if you chew on the shells of shrimp. Someone has noted to me that this may be a flavor associated with an infection. I am pretty thorough in my brew day sanitation so I'm thinking it may be an infection coming from fermentation equipment, or maybe siphoning.

1. I currently use a copper immersion chiller. I usually drop it in the boil for the last 10-15 minutes. The copper has a dull coating on it, but I was told that was normal. Is this true? Is there a good way to get it cleaned and shony to start over?

2. I'm going to replace my siphoning tubing, but is there something other than starsan I should use to disinfect my siphon/racking cane?

3. What about my carboy? I use a glass primary and plastic secondary. Typically I clean with a oxyclean solution and then starsan for about 30 minutes. I've read that there are infections which may linger. What's a good method for cleaning these to get a possible infection out?

4. Finally, please confirm that an infection would pretty much have to initiate after the boil, right? I shouldn't have to worry about sanitizing my stirring paddle during the boil, right?

Thanks, for helping me thru this frustration.

I can help with #1 & #4, but regarding #2 & #3, I've always used starsan on my fermenters and racking equipment and have never had any issues with infection. I would investigate bottles and bottling equipment?

On #1, I have a copper immersion chiller and do no cleaning other than hosing it off immediately after I'm done using it. I then drop it in about 10 minutes before flameout and this has not caused me any problems. It has developed a dull appearance over time, similar to what you describe, so I would rule this out as an unlikely source.

On #4, yes, infection would have to be introduced post boil.

That must be really frustrating. Have you been dry hopping either of these beers? If so, what do you use, if anything, to contain the hops?

Dull is normal, if you absolutely need to have it shiny: take a bucket pour about a quart of white vinegar in it, fill the remainder with water to cover your chiller. Let the chiller sit in this solution until the desired level of shine is reached. Remove and rinse with water.

I don't care if its dull or shiny. I really woud rather not have to keep it shiny. I'm trying to track down this off flavor, part by part.

Torso: No, the beers which really have the most off flavor are the light one's, like blondes, ambers, etc. No dry hopping for those.

I'm dealing with a similar issue myself. The first thing I did was to sanitize all my fermenters with hot water and bleach for at least 30 mins and then triple rinse. I also started keeping track of everything used for each beer - tubing, chilling method, carboy, etc. This way I can go back thru and find common factors.

I have mine narrowed down to a piece of tubing I use to run off in to a carboy or a single plastic carboy.

Two things to try:

Try just a primary fermentation with your next batch and do not transfer to secondary. Let the beer finish and then bottle/keg. That will eliminate the secondary bucket.

Purchase a stainless steel racking cane so you don't have to worry about the plastic racking cane possibly being infected.

Another thing that could possibly causing this is rapid temperature changes in fermentation. Do you possibly have a "smart" thermostat that is cranking the temperature of your house up during the day and then cool at night?

Have you had anyone else confirm this off flavor?

Couldn't a SS racking cane be infected also?

How much of a temp change would be considered acceptable? I use a water bath with ice bottles for now....so there is some fluctuation.

Couldn't a SS racking cane be infected also?

How much of a temp change would be considered acceptable? I use a water bath with ice bottles for now....so there is some fluctuation.

Anything plastic will have thousands of microscopic scratches that you will be unable to see or feel and will harbor all sorts of nasty things. Try to eliminate plastic as much as possible (with the exception of PET plastics, they are much safer).

Any temp swing of +/- 5 per 24 hours. The water bath is an excellent way of controlling thermal loss or gains so that part of your process is fine.

I've read through the thread and without some description of this off flavor we are all grasping at straws and it may not even be an infection, especially if it's coming from pre-carbonated, unfinished wort.

What are you doing about fermentation temperature controls, what temperature are you fermenting at? Are these AG batches with the potential for DMS? What type of water are you using as it could be a phenolic issue.

Look through this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/infection-elimination-424353/ and perhaps you can narrow it down

Back