Infection/Brew Bucket Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bordy

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gal Centennial Blonde batch (ended up with 8.5) that I split into two different buckets, 5 gal and 3.5 gal batches. I kegged the 5 gal batch first, and it was great. Two weeks later I kegged the 3.5 gal batch, and it was sour. Luckily it was a good sour, basically has a green apple flavor with a nice green apple aftertaste and aroma, which has remained for the last week and a half, and I think it’s great.
The two buckets I used were identical and new, all cleaning, kegging, and sanitizing techniques were followed through with both batches identically, and I used US-05 on both.
The main differences were the volume and the time before kegging. I pulled them both from the temp controlled fermentation freezer at the same time (12 days), but the 3.5 gal was in temps between 68-85 degrees for two weeks before kegging.
Will the infected bucket remain infected even after an oxyclean soak? I’m not sure which bucket was which as they were both new and exactly the same, and I didn’t know about the infection until I lost track of which bucket was which. If it will remain infected, will I still get the same ‘good’ infection?

I don't think you have an infection, I think you have an overabundance of acetaldehyde in that 3.5 gallon batch (you mentioned green-apple flavor, that's acetaldehyde).

You have a couple of options here. Since you already kegged the "sour" batch, you can either drink it up, or you can leave the keg out of the fridge for a few days and see if the residual yeast will clean up the acetaldehyde. You may have to add a bit of yeast to get it to work.

Back