infected wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heebs

Reaction score
IMG_20140330_140620.jpg

This a new thing I have seen in my beer since moving to my new place. I "think" it is infected to a small degree but want some input from people better than I. I start seeing that white haze on the top when I go to keg out of secondary.

My vote is infected. Lacto or Brett, what's it taste like?

When it appears could be relevant but remember, it can sometimes take 2-4 weeks for signs to appear after infection takes place.

Tastes fine. I know I have a bit of moisture in the basement and have seen this stuff before. No off flavors at all and I don't sweat it all that much since this batch of 30g will be lucky to see 2.5 months from boil.

I have been thinking that the source of my infection may be coming from my ball valves. Has anyone had any luck ridding themselves of this type of contamination? I should be able to just boil away the ugly but you never know.....

So the first transfer I have done since this pic seems to have a better smell to it, of course I may just be deluding myself. I took every one of my kettle ball valves/fittings pulled them apart, boiled them with oxy clean, and put them back together. Even if I didn't find the infection source, I can tell you that the inside of my ball valves were filthy. I will report back when I dry hop, as that is when I usually really notice the change.

So my total break down cleaned out the infection. Lesson here is that might maybe you should break down the ball valves from time to time.

Latest posts

Back