infected porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkflakes

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate porter from a kit (yeast and grain bill unknown lol) on 1/14 and expected to have the batch bottle carbed by now, forgot to test OG. SG was at 1025 on 1/19 and again at 1/21 so I figured I was good to bottle it, then had some home projects going on and left it for a week.

On 2/1 I had time to bottle but noticed a couple bubbles coming up through the airlock. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything but I am wary of anything that could make a gusher after a few ginger beers gone wrong. I checked the gravity again and it was the same. I moved it from my bedroom ~66 degrees to my living room ~74 degrees because How To Brew said this could be caused by too cold a ferment but alternately could be a bug.

There's nothing visually disturbing about the beer except that the gas seems so active. Should I just go ahead and bottle it? Test SG again? Could it be a bug? And when I bottle, what is a good way to try and prevent overcarbonating? Refrigerate after a certain amount of time?

It sounds done from here.

Changes in ambient temperature and/or pressure can cause CO2 to release from solution. And it doesn't take much of either to result in a batch to yack up some bubbles while showing zero activity on the surface. This happens because the beer comes out of fermentation holding as much CO2 as the conditions at that time allow...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back