Infected bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrapulencePants

Reaction score
I've had three infected batches now, band-aid flavor. Don't remember what that's called. I primary in a bucket with a spigot, I had two of them. If I go back and count every other batch, all the infected batches fall on the same bucket. I even had a gusher infection out of the same bucket, don't know if that's related or just due to poor sanitation over all.

The infected batches were not back to back, I made other beers in the infected bucket but they didn't come out tasting off. All the infected beers have been Smashes. Are certain styles of beer more prone to infection or do certain styles mask infection flavors? Or is it purely chance that all the band-aid flavor made it into the Smashes?

I've since replaced buckets with glass carboys and replaced all hoses in my setup. And I sanitize way better than I used to. :D

FYI - Those types of phenols do not necessary indicate an infection. Could be a fermentation or water issue. That being said, low hopped, low ABV beers would be more prone to infection.

CrapulencePants - here's an idea ...

Do you have a kettle with ball vavle? If so, why not use that for your fermenting bucket? My stainless 8 gallon kettle is ideal for bottling bucketl; it can be sanitized pretty easily with boiling water and a little star-stan through the valve.

Just thinking outside the box.

Latest posts

Back