Inexpensive-ish ventilation hood idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmcq

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was perusing through a big box store a few months ago and came across these:

MacCourt 19 in. x 44 in. Plastic Window Well Cover. There were less expensive ones, but the plastic was much thinner and a whole lot floppier.

Regardless, it struck me as being a perfect ventilation hood... It will fit directly over the basement window that my brewstand is under, so all I'd have to really do is add a louvered vent fan in the window.

Thoughts? Comments? Is anyone using one of these?

:mug:

I'm thinking that this might be a good fan to use to ventilate.. Ventamatic 1300 CFM Power Attic Ventilator Gable Mount. 1300 CFM is lots, and it will fit in my window. I'll simply frame it in, insulate, etc.

I'm thinking that should do a fairly good job at clearing out moisture during my boil.

Remember, there are many different ways to measure cfm, so I very seeiously doubt that $60 fan is insanely powerful. However, since you're brewing by a window, it'll almost definitely be plenty of air flow to evacuate the steam (bull**** guess).

Also, why not build one out of plywood / mdf? Also super cheap and that way you can paint it and make it look much better than a window well cover or a Rubbermaid tub. If you're spending enough on a control panel (even a cheap one), why not spend ~$25 extra to make the vent hood look a little more presentable?

A typical box fan isn't strong enough... and I'm sure the CFMs are estimated on the high side of things, but you never know... there should be enough pull. If not, I march it right back to Home Despot and get a refund, or trade it in towards a more powerful one.

I like the window well cover... it's lightweight (bonus), it's curved and contoured towards the window (bonus) and it's transparent (bonus). I'm tall, but my basement isn't and any hood that I install will be absolutely in my way. So whatever I use for a hood needs to be "portable" enough so that I have hang it for the boil, but keep it safely ensconced away during the rest of the brewday.

I was rather hoping someone else had already given it a test drive. :)

Back