Boil kettle condenser - no overhead ventilation needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if that would cause any issues with effectiveness.
Not a bit. You might be overthinking it... Can you try it without the extension and see how it goes, then buy it later?

Don't forget that at some point it'll hang so far off that the lid will want to lift up on the opposite side and have the whole thing tip over.

Not a bit. You might be overthinking it... Can you try it without the extension and see how it goes, then buy it later?

Don't forget that at some point it'll hang so far off that the lid will want to lift up on the opposite side and have the whole thing tip over.
Hmmm. I need an extension of some sort due to the nature and shape of the steam hat from Brewtools. The condenser tee will bottom out on the domed lid without an extension. It's more a matter of how long an extension I need to be able to dump to the sink effectively without having to go into a bucket.

The good thing about the steam hat is that it clamps onto the kettle, so no worry about tipping or weight imbalance.

It's more a matter of how long an extension I need to be able to dump to the sink effectively without having to go into a bucket.
Yeah, sorry, that's what I was trying to say. Get it over the edge of the kettle / use what you have (assuming what you have gets it over the edge of the kettle already), and then let the hose do the rest.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I was trying to say. Get it over the edge of the kettle / use what you have (assuming what you have gets it over the edge of the kettle already), and then let the hose do the rest.
All good! My old setup was mounted on the side of my kettle, so no extension. I think the 12” is in order for me. I’ll keep the thread posted once I give it a test run!

I've been brewing with a Gen Gen 3.1 for 2 year or so, about 6 months ago, I started the steam trap process,I bought the Brewzilla steam trap and distillation lid, I used the hose bib and sink initially, I disliked wasting the water, I have a 30 gallon drum of chilled water with a pump for my immersion chiller, returning the water to the tank left a stinky, oily scum in the tank, I've now moved to a remote pump mounted on my stand,a power supply and a 5 gallon cooler, I put 3 gallons if water and a block of ice, thus recirculating the water, I toss the water at the end of brew but the loss is minimal..I also upgraded the flimsy brewzilla lid, with the pro model with sight glass, boil off rate is just about a gallon and it only requires the 1000 w element for a rolling boil.. late hop or other editions are added through the top cap.

Attachments

• 20230714_130206.jpg
    20230714_130206.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_130533.jpg
    20230714_130533.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Update for those interested - final setup. This should dump into my sink without issue. First brew with it this weekend, so we'll see if it all works and how she does.

Attachments

• IMG_3239.jpg
    IMG_3239.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
It takes it about 5 minutes to get going, but once it does, it works very well, I use a small LED light to look in the window so I know EXACLY what's going on, I dont put the clamp on the top cover if I'm adding hops,irish moss or yeast nutrient, but I DO keep my gloves handy, also, if you remove the cap, dont get you face near it or you wont need to.shave for a good while.

Back