Independent zone control for fridge/freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsub

Reaction score
I’ve been reading up on different fermentation temperature control solutions and love the idea of the Brew Pi build that FuzzeWuzze posted. My question now is what refrigerator is best to suit my needs. I'd love to have something with a fridge and freezer so I can use the fridge side as a ferm chamber but still run the freezer side all the way down to 0F for normal use.

It looks like most refrigerator/freezers have a single cooling element and the fridge side temp is controlled by pushing the cooler freezer side air over to the fridge. Is there such a thing as separate control for each zone? I don't mind some cutting and rewiring but ideally I want to have control of the fridge side from 76F-32F and the freezer side between 45F (serving temp when I eventually move up to kegging) and 0F.

Am I asking too much here? I don't see any info in the wiki or elsewhere on the specs for fridges that might meet this criteria. If there's a resource for this kind of thing a point in the right direction would be hugely appreciated.

thanks!

There are a number of builds like what you are seeking. Search for Side by side fridge, or side by side kererator fermentation.
Personally, I'm stumped on my in work build. I need help splicing in the new controller and I'm not all that great with schematics.
I hope this helps point you in the direction you asked about.

Back