increasing alcohol content a bit and help w/ bittering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator

Reaction score
this is an APA i'm tinkering w/ on that program Beer Tools.

for arrogance, i'd like to bump my alcohol content up just a bit to the higher end of acceptable for an APA.

also, is the bitterness a bit too much and if so, what can be done to lower it some???

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP001
Yeast Starter: NO
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 45.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13.45
Alcohol: 4.5%

Ingredients:
6# Alexander's Pale Liquid
1# Crystal Malt (60L) Steeping Grains
0.5oz Chinook 13% AA x 60 min
1 oz Centennial 10% AA x 20 min
1 oz Cascade 5.5% AA x 15 min

thanks for your help, Gator

If you want to increase the abv a bit, add a little more extract. Your IBUs are on the higher end of the spectrum for the style, but still within the style limits. If you want to decrease the bitterness, just use less hops.

I'd recommend adding one or two pounds of dried malt extract. It will give you a higher alcohol but will retain maltiness. That is unless you want to make the beer thinner then you could add the alcohol boost, corn sugar, or I recommend honey. Honey doesn't make the beer cidery tasting.

May not be exactly to style, but I added 1 # of belgain candy sugar to a low ABV Cream ale and it was nice. You can make your own (look for inverted sugar) or buy it. It adds a point or so, and also gives a nice lacey head on the tail end. An added bonus.

In my experience the Alcohol boost doesn't take away from the body at all. It definitely has no added tastes either.

:tank:

Back