Inconsistent Hop Profile in a single batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Batch: 50L APA
Fermented 20C speidel 60 liter vat 2 weeks
Bottled: 33cl, dark brown bottles, 19C 2 weeks
Bottled from main fermenter.

So this is new and never has happen to me before. The hoppiness of the beer in my batch ranges from fine English Ale to a perfect and rather delicious strawberry daiquiri APA. (N.B. NO strawberrys were harmed or added in the making of this beer, just hops). Such a drastic change in dry hop profile is worth investigating and until now I found no informatIon.

Changed one variable Dry Hopped with Pellets.

I have always used leaves. They tend to float around for a few days and sink. With the pellets I expect due to the compression they are denser and just sink immediately to the bottom.

My theory is that using dry hops will produce a diminishing hop flavor with height from the bottom of the fermenter.

Three solutions:
1 Stir beer before bottling, maybe during the dry hop phase. (Oxidation!)
2 use a bottling bucket to homogenize the beer to be bottled. (Oxidation!)
3 use only leaf hops and allow the hop flavors disperse from above. (Same oxidation as pellets)

If anyone has experience with this or can even think of another reason that would be great help. Thanks

Pick up the fermenter and swirl the contents around without opening it? No reason you couldn’t do this multiple times, and I can’t think of any way it would hurt anything.

Pick up the fermenter and swirl the contents around without opening it? No reason you couldn’t do this multiple times, and I can’t think of any way it would hurt anything.
Haha, I would love to do that. Maybe I am a weakling but picking up 50 kg for more than a few seconds for me is pretty hard on the old back.

More curious if this is something that other people experience, with dry hopping and bottling straight from the fermenter?

I put pellet hops in a hop sock and they float. I haven't put loose ones in a long time so I can't say how much that is dependent on the sock. The sock itself sinks in boiling water once it is saturated. They won't sink in the sock without weights.

Back