Inconsistent carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calvinfan1

Reaction score
I have five kegs hooked up to my CO2. Two of them I kegged about two weeks ago and the carbonation is pretty weak. I've tried increasing the pressure from 14 to around 18, but this causes my other kegs to become overcarbonated. What am I missing?

Are you talking about beer that pours with a nice head and quickly dissipates? That is called "poor head retention" and its a quality of the grist makeup of the beer... the actual grains that give it body and head.

Or is some beer just flat? I had a keg that leaked.. and it wouldn't carb well. Replaced all o-rings and poppits and its all fine now.

Every time you keg you need to purge and check for leaks. Sometimes the lid o'ring leaks or the posts. If nothing is leaking and all kegs are on the same manifold then you will get the same carbination providing every keg is saturated at a given pressure and temperature. Sometimes different beers will seem less carbonated depending on the strength of the malt used and how sweet it is but they both are carbonated the same.

Back